Author Topic: Last Night's Dinner - loveitspicy's Chicken Rogan Josh  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Last Night's Dinner - loveitspicy's Chicken Rogan Josh
« on: January 09, 2016, 10:18 AM »
After last week's unexpected, unwelcome, but unmitigated disaster with a simple Madras, I thought I would stray from the tried and trusted and go for a curry I hadn't made before.

After a trawl of the Main Dishes board, I settled for loveitspicy's Chicken Rogan Josh. It had somehow fallen under my recipe radar.

It was good - I mean, it was really good! Very flavoursome and it cooked like a dream, taking no effort at all to reduce to a bhuna consistency.

I was cooking for 3 adults, so I had to mess around with the ingredient quantities a little (but not too much!). In fact, I reckon that the increased ingredient amounts would have done nicely for 2 hungry people using only 2 portions of pre-cooked chicken instead of the 1kg I used.

The major difference to the cooked recipe compared to Rich's written version was the absence of fennel powder. I had none, and I couldn't be bothered grinding such a small quantity, so I added 1.5 tsp of fennel seeds at the initial stage and then continued with the recipe once the seeds began to pop in the hot oil.

I wasn't quite sure how to interpret the "little" amount of sliced onion and chopped tomato so I used half a medium onion and, although I chopped 2 fairly large tomatoes, I only used about 3 tbsp. Also, I didn't include the optional yoghurt as the curry looked and tasted just right when it was done.

I would definitely recommend Rich's recipe to anyone looking for a new dish to try. You won't be disappointed! :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:45 PM by Naga »

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Last Night's Dinner - loveitspicy's Chicken Rogan Josh
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:09 PM »
That looks suberb  ;)
That has set me up for tonight's curry
I haven't got time to cook too much so I empted the freezer
They are all labelled curry so it will be interesting to see what comes out  :-\
I'll make a few fresh chapattis to mop them up
And hopefully look as appetizing as yours naga  ;)
MT

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 12:15 PM »
What a suprise to see one of mine - to be honest i didn't know i posted this - glad you enjoyed it -
p.s. i never make owt complicated i'm a simple bloke

thanks again for posting

best, Rich

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 01:46 PM »
Original post updated with photos.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:18 PM »
It didn't disappoint   :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 08:37 PM »
Beautiful looking curry there Naga.  You do like your greens Keith  ;) I must give Loveitspicey's recipe a go when i get fed up eating my vindaloo efforts  ;D  Have only ever cooked this curry once before just after joining the forum, using Razor's recipe which I did enjoy.  I'm sure i'll enjoy this one equally, having gained a bit more knowledge since then  ::)
Kitchen is currently smelling very BIR after the latest vindaloo effort.  Very promising  :P

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Great looking curry Naga, never looked at that recipe, but that said I am more than happy with the recipe I use already.
Thanks for sharing though, will take a look, maybe take some pointers to use in my own

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 11:39 AM »
Blurb copied to loveitspicy's original thread per CH's suggestion. Text in 1st post can be deleted now.

©2024 Curry Recipes