Author Topic: mix powder from the Vinadloo takeaway  (Read 5561 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
mix powder from the Vinadloo takeaway
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:05 PM »
Was chatting to the chef about his mix powder last night.As I thought no great suprises,no magic potions etc,just a general mix of powders that he chooses,no doubt similar to other chefs up and down the country.I didn't get a specific breakdown in quantities(he had it in a big tub and he scopped some out),however he was pretty relaxed about it,I mean it wasn't a big secret that he didn't want to talk about.I had my trusty notebook with me and showed him the mix powder I recorded from the Zall lesson.In this was curry powder,corriander,cumin,turmeric,chilli and garam massala.He said it was about right.The only thing he would add would be garlic powder and mustard powder.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: mix powder from the Vinadloo takeaway
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 04:31 PM »
Garlic powder is interesting
I know curry powder has it in anyway, but that might have quite an effect
None of the places I have seen have said they used it in the mix
They use it in their garlic mayonaise

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Definately said garlic powder Haldi.I remember the Kushi book had it as one their mix powder ingredients as did the Curry Craft book.I've seen bags of the stuff in my cash and carry so they're using it for something.I hope my chef isn't trying to give me some duff info,I really don't think he is but I'll try and ask a bit more on Sunday.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 05:20 PM »
CA's mix powder which I started with years ago had garlic powder in it.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:32 AM »
Hi JB

I've used kushi spice a lot with the garlic powder in and it's very good. I'm more intrigued about the mustard powder. I'm presuming it's inclusion is at a relatively low ratio. Is it very noticeable in the finished dishes?

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 07:25 AM »
I wonder if he's talking about mustard powder such as the below, or toasted and ground brown or black mustard seeds, which are much more of an Indian ingredient?

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 02:02 PM »
You took the words right out of my mouth Sveridge. That was precisely my next question!  :)

Offline Roida15

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 05:47 PM »
I would also like to say how impressed I am with the work JB is doing, especially as just started on this site. JB do you think the chef will give you a full list of ingredients?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 11:15 AM »
I think it's actually Coleman's mustard powder.I may be wrong,and I'll ask next time.He does use the prepared Coleman's mustard sauce in his tikka marinade.Hopefully I'll be in when they make up a batch of mix powder soon,they're pretty cool about me watching them do everything else so it shouldn't be a problem.I think mix powder is just a small part of the whole cooking process,along with the gravy and also technique.Every chef in the country no doubt does it in a similar way,but with their own tweaks here and there.

Offline Roida15

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 11:58 AM »
Hi,

Have you tried to make the base gravy from this restraunt yet?

©2024 Curry Recipes