Author Topic: Balti house Rishton  (Read 19921 times)

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Balti house Rishton
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 05:45 PM »
I think you will make it to hot if you use 2 or 3 tsp of Kashmir chili powder I would only use 3/4 tsp or 1tsp
At the very most

CAB.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 05:46 PM »
Is it 2 to 3 tablespoons or 2 thirds of a tablespoon of Kashmiri chilli powder, I though he said half a tablespoon.
Two-thirds :  he initially said "half", then added a little more, which to my mind equates to 2/3 (two thirds).
** Phil.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 05:49 PM »
I think you will make it to hot if you use 2 or 3 tsp of Kashmir chili powder I would only use 3/4 tsp or 1tsp
At the very most.
I shall report back tomorrow (I will use the full stated amount), mainly because (in my experience) Kashmiri chillies are at the lower end of the heat spectrum, and also because, amortised over 400gm chicken, it does not seem excessive to me.  I was going to cook it today, but now I have a viewing at 15:00 so have to keep the house free of curry smells until the viewing is over ...

** Phil.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Ok that's fine Phil but I made it and and it was to hot for me

CAB.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2016, 07:10 PM »
Made exactly to spec., substituting lamb (diced shoulder) for chicken.  Pretty underwhelming, and I won't be repeating it.  If I had had some KD1 base available, I could have produced a far better curry with far less effort.

** Phil.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Nice one Phil,

Saved me the trouble.

London.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 06:19 PM »
I personally will make it again with a couple of small tweeks and I have the feeling
It will produce a balti of epceptable standards

CAB.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 06:30 PM »
Well, I wish you luck Bob.  When I came to retrieve the remains of the lamb from the Rishton Balti sauce this afternoon (by putting the whole lot in a colander and flushing it with hot water), I was staggered to find that the onion had not broken down at all, despite the fact that the curry was cooked for sufficiently long to render the lamb completely soft (i.e., far longer than would be required for chicken).

** Phil.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 07:15 PM »
Phil I do think that lamb being cooked in this curry from from its raw state is going to
Dry the gravy up chicken can be tender in 15 minutes lamb can take a couple of hours
I would personally pre cooked the lamb if I was using it ! Next time I make it I will increase the onions and add more spice to compensate And chuck in some green peppers and it will be fine! Take another look at my photos this curry does not look a million miles away just simply needs more gravy and a little more mixed spice

CAB.

©2024 Curry Recipes