Author Topic: Reverse curry cooking !  (Read 2388 times)

Offline petespot

• Chef
    • View Profile
Reverse curry cooking !
« on: April 28, 2016, 11:09 PM »
 Please do not berate me ! Yes, I am lazy, but I do not care ! I recently purchased a Tower 7.5l pressure cooker to cook my base in. My Wife does not like curry or the smell of me frying etc. I needed a beef madras for my lunch at work, so, I chucked all the ingredients into said pressure cooker, including base gravy portion (frozen) oil, G/G paste, spices, water, RAW beef, coriander etc. etc. and cooked it for 40 mins. It came out fine but watery, so after reducing, it is EXACTLY the same as frying spices etc. etc, I will use this method from now on !

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse curry cooking !
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 11:58 PM »
No reason to berate you at all, Pete.  I may well try the same, but with some old goat rather than beef.
** Phil.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:13 AM »
So a dish that would normally take about 10 mins to cook, took 40 mins plus the time to reduce it.
Apart from using Raw meat and not upsetting your wife, sorry, I can't see the benefit of it. :-/

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Hi
Thanks for that Pete. This may prove usefull in the future.
Regards

Offline petespot

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:59 AM »
The benefits are ( for me anyway ) No fear of burning spices, garlic etc. No standing over the cooker actually cooking. Less smell. Less washing up. No cooker to clean, as the high sides of the pressure cooker keep it clean. No meat to pre cook. No horrible scraping of the pan as you are cooking BIR style. Just follow any of the recipes on this forum, place all the ingredients en masse into pressure cooker. Cook it up then reduce with the lid off afterwards until you are practically frying the curry.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Why knock it if it works?  It's all about your palate and what turns you on taste-wise.  Good for you.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Petespot - I don't doubt that it could work but 40 minutes seems a very long time for cooking anything in a pressure cooker. Have you tried shorter cooking times, only to find that it really needs 40 minutes? How did you arrive at the 40 minutes duration?

©2024 Curry Recipes