Author Topic: Tom yam gai -- request for recipe  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Tom yam gai -- request for recipe
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 10:43 PM »
Quote from: Phil [Chaa006
  And in the meantime I plan to send the recipe to Am, a former restaurateur and Thai chef who works part-time at the hotel, to see what her comments are on it.[/edit]
Sorry that it didn't work out for you Phil. But it will be interesting to hear what comments Am makes about this recipe. This woman is supposed to be a fully trained chef.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 10:53 PM »
I have this awful feeling, Les, that it's rather like BIR food -- give a practised BIR chef and a punter off the streets the same ingredients and the same recipe, and the two end dishes will be as different as chalk andf cheese.  I suspect that the Red Hot Thai lady's version is superb when she cooks it, but my lack of knowledge, expertise and experience are a major contributor to my failure to re-create it properly, whence my idea of sending it to Am to see if she thinks that it should work ...

** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:08 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Quote from: Phil [Chaa006
my lack of knowledge, expertise and experience are a major contributor to my failure to re-create it properly, whence my idea of sending it to Am to see if she thinks that it should work ...

** Phil.

Don't look at as a failure Phil, but a learning curve, Us amateur home cook's can't be expected to get it right every time, I know, I didn't. I suspect next time you will do a lot better.  Anyway happy cooking.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:23 AM by Les »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 07:01 PM »
Much much better tonight, Les -- possibly v. close to Chef Rohan's standard.  Last night's stock, to which I had already added about 1 tsp of Mae Ploy Tom Yam paste, two more drumstick bones, then when they had had a chance to infuse the stock with their flavour, the meat from the drumsticks which had been marinaded in a little fish sauce, then for the last five minutes six more slices of galangal, six more Kaffir lime leaves, shredded, and some chopped coriander stalk.  Now re-heating what is left with some chicken breast for my second course :)

What I now think (and this will be viewed as heresy in Thailand) is that it would benefit from the addition of some sliced water chestnuts -- the galangal slices look so inviting, but are too hard to eat :  if they were removed just before serving, and replaced by sliced water chestnuts (which look very similar), I think this could make the dish even more attractive from the texture perspective.

** Phil.

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 07:47 PM »
Good on you Phil, It can only get better from here on in,
Water chestnut's sounds like a good idea, after all a recipe is just a guide, not the bible.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:37 PM by Les »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Tom yam gai -- request for recipe : SUCCESS !
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 08:18 PM »
Tonight I finally achieved my goal:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:51 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

©2024 Curry Recipes