Poll

What will be the result of Wednesday's referendum on remaining in Europe ?

We will remain a member, and this is also my preferred option.
3 (37.5%)
We will leave the EU, and this is also my preferred option.
3 (37.5%)
We will remain a member, but I would have preferred that we leave.
2 (25%)
We will leave the EU, but I would have preferred that we remain.
0 (0%)
Other, see message for my personal view.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 23, 2016, 02:19 PM

Author Topic: Referendum on Britain's membership of the EU  (Read 16189 times)

Offline ziggycat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Referendum on Britain's membership of the EU
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 02:31 PM »
The markets were bound to be effected by the referendum outcome and it's not come as any surprise to voters on either side. This was anticipated and the BofE was prepared for it. To my knowledge nobody is predicting any market collapse or long term adversity.  So further scaremongering (aka. Project Fear) is solely based on individual speculation.

As the next Conservative PM will be 100% be a Brexit advocate anyone believing this won't be invoked is completely deluded.

To our EU overlords,
I don't want your interpretation of free movement, I don't want you setting my taxes,  I don't wan't you telling me we can't manage our own agriculture and fisheries industries.

I don't adhere to your envisaged future of a United States of Europe, governed by a bunch of unelected bureaucrats in brussels deciding on the wattage of my vacuum cleaner.

Goodbye & Good Riddance to you Mr.EU.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 06:37 PM »
To our Westminster overlords,

I don't want your interpretation of democracy, I don't want you setting my taxes,  I don't wan't you telling me we can't manage our own agriculture and fisheries industries.

I don't adhere to your envisaged future of a United States of Englandshire, governed by a bunch of unelected bureaucrats in the House of Lords deciding on the wattage of my vacuum cleaner.

Goodbye & Good Riddance to you Monsieurs et Madames Bigots.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Whereas I, on the other hand, would sooner entrust the future of this country to the hereditary peers who traditionally made up the House of Lords along with the bishops than to any number of life peers who have been appointed as a covert means of thanking them for some past action or actions that were of benefit to the party nominating them.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:18 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 02:07 PM »
A petition which had only a few signatures prior to the referendum which must surely be seen now as a sour grapes petition.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 03:49 PM »
You may interpret it that way if you wish, Stephen; I, on the other hand, interpret it as a genuine expression of concern that something so important as whether or not we remain a member of the EU can be decided by so small a majority (3.8% of 72.2% = 2.74% of the total population) and against the wishes of two of the four countries composing the United Kingdom (Scotland and Northern Ireland).  Neither England (6.4%) nor Wales (3.4%) were anywhere as unanimous in their vote to leave as Scotland (24%) and Northern Ireland (15.4%) were in their vote to remain.  Fortunately the majority of our elected representatives in Parliament, who will ultimately have to decide whether or not to trigger Article 50, are not in favour of the United Kingdom leaving the EU; let us just hope that they put the future of Britain and the future of Europe ahead of the wishes of just 37.5% of the population of the UK eligible to vote.

** Phil.

littlechilie

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Just dropped by, sad to see the decline of the forum. :( :'( wishing you all well with your (Takeaway) cooking.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 05:41 PM »
I am forced to agree that there has been a serious decline in curry-related contributions, but in defence of the current thread I do feel that the issue is of not inconsiderable importance to the non-expatriates amongst us ...

** Phil.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 07:54 PM »
Sorry to say Phil  a petition carries no weght at all according to the news the other day
Obviously these people voted  in
If the shoe was on the other foot and the out vote had lost would you be concerned of an out petition
Just a thought

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 08:05 PM »
Sorry to say Phil  a petition carries no weght at all according to the news the other day
Obviously these people voted  in
If the shoe was on the other foot and the out vote had lost would you be concerned of an out petition
Just a thought
"Would I be concerned ?".  Yes, in the same way as I am concerned about this one.  A 52:48 majority is no way to decide something as crucial as this to this country's future, or to the future of the whole of Europe.  I believe that in order to change the status quo, a minimum of 60:40 should be required and ideally 70:30.  If that is not implemented as a rule, then if we do leave a future government can call a further referendum, get a 52:48 vote in the opposite direction, and we are back in again.  Therein lies insanity.  We are /in/ Europe, let's stay that way until a /significant/ majority want out; and if we are out, then the same.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes