Poll

What will be the result of Wednesday's referendum on remaining in Europe ?

We will remain a member, and this is also my preferred option.
3 (37.5%)
We will leave the EU, and this is also my preferred option.
3 (37.5%)
We will remain a member, but I would have preferred that we leave.
2 (25%)
We will leave the EU, but I would have preferred that we remain.
0 (0%)
Other, see message for my personal view.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 23, 2016, 02:19 PM

Author Topic: Referendum on Britain's membership of the EU  (Read 16142 times)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Referendum on Britain's membership of the EU
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2016, 08:20 PM »
I can  see your point Phil
We are in limbo and who knows what's going to happen next
I haven't a clue
But I have asked a few people who I trust with high powered jobs and I don't know which way they voted but they said the same short term not good but long term could be better
Not to say that will make you feel better  :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2016, 08:57 PM »
But those weren't the rules Phil and you can't amend the rules just because you don't like how others played the game. The remain camp said this was a once in a life time thing. Of course this has totally backfired on Cameron who made the biggest political gamble of his career and scored an own goal of a magnitude that even the football team couldn't muster.

As a Scot my sense was, when we lost the 2014 referendum, that many people in the rest of the UK couldn't see what the fuss was about and displayed a sort of a "get over it" attitude. Well now the shoe is on the other foot and they are feeling the pain the same as we were.

This is the second referendum in two years that I have supported the losing side but to continue the football analogy we are a little nation that is used to getting beat and good at taking it on the chin. Consequently I will have to get over it yet again and live to fight another day and I will.

However its going to be an interesting few months because I think the promises made by leave will fall flat on their face and again the public will feel duped by politicians just as we did here in by Scotland by Brown and his Vow and by Cameron and his Family of Nations. I wish that instead of fighting amongst themselves and jostling for position that Labour pulled together and saw this as an opportunity to unite, but alas Lord of the Flies springs to mind. They could have been steadying themselves for the next general election which I think will happen sooner rather than later as the Tories won't be able to deliver what the leave voters thought they were getting and will be blamed by the remian voters as having mucked up big time, which they have.

Meanwhile Nicola Sturgeon will be jumping at the chance to get an outcome that suits Scotland, it's worth watching her from the sidelines because she's a canny operator and won't make promises she can't deliver on. Note - she hasn't said there will be a second Scottish referendum, only that it's on the table because we voted unanimously to remain. Watch this space!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2016, 09:25 PM »
But those weren't the rules Phil and you can't amend the rules just because you don't like how others played the game.
I agree.  But the rules say "a referendum is not binding".  It is a means to gauge public feeling, and I (and four million others) believe that a 52:48 x 72.2% outcome says only "the nation is divided", nothing more.

** Phil.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:20 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2016, 10:30 PM »
It's all politics
there's good people on both sides

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 10:33 PM »
PS it's good to hear the views of fellow forum members - curry and non-curry related.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2016, 08:47 PM »
I hope everyone who voted "leave" will accept their full share of responsibility for the consequences.

Being a sore loser must be one of the worst personality traits.

The BBC's reaction :

Quote from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-36659954
Now, it is another lot who feel they have lost their country and had the future snatched away.

To describe these people as "bad losers" is to miss the point.

Neither side regard this as a game of cricket, a bit of fun, where you can shake hands afterwards and go into the pavilion for tea.
What sort of country are we?

For both sides, it is about how we see ourselves and what sort of country we are.

For many on the Remain side, this sense of history going against them, is a new feeling, closer to a bereavement than a political reverse.

Their new-found insecurity and unexpected anger is hot and heartfelt.

It has been sharpened by the apparent increase in assaults on people assumed to be foreign or immigrants.

Many who voted Remain may suspect Prime Minister David Cameron was right when he warned of a narrower, less tolerant country.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2016, 10:01 PM »
I stand by my original comment whether the word 'sore' or 'bad' is used.  The BBC's bias is well known and their opinion doesn't count for much in my thinking.

If you leave the Scottish votes out of the count, the % majority in favour of leaving goes up quite significantly. Well, if Scotland ever does make a big mistake (for them) in voting for independence, that's where we will be and even better off for no longer having to hand over so much money to Scotland.

I agree with Micky Tikka's friends who he reported as saying "short term not good but long term could be better".

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2016, 10:32 PM »
Your opinion is worth less than nothing, George.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2016, 01:24 PM »
Westminster doesn't hand over money to Scotland George, we pay our taxes like everyone else and it goes into the pot, after all we are supposed to be a "family of nations".

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 02:13 PM »
Garp's posts at #15 and #47 indicate to me that this forum has still not pulled itself out of the terrible mess it's in. What a way to run a forum, allowing such members to post whatever they like without anything being done.

©2024 Curry Recipes