Author Topic: Curry Fan - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada joining the ranks  (Read 1333 times)

Offline fstr n u

• Chef
    • View Profile
Happy Canada Day Weekend everyone.

My name is Ryan, i'm 38, work as a Registered Nurse, managing an Emergency Department, have a family and enjoy: acoustic music, cooking, cars and family time.

I was awestruck by curry a few years ago after visiting a local restaurant called Passage to India.  We frequented the restaurant as often as life would permit...alas the owner retired at the age of 80+ and moved to Vancouver, BC.  This left a bit of a void in my world...so i embarked on learning how to start making curry myself.

I'm sure like many of yourselves, i've made some good and bad curries.  The more i tinkered and played, the better they have become.  I have come close to mastering my butter chicken (Murgh Makhani), but still struggle with trying to find a Vindaloo recipe remotely close to what i've tried.

I will be doing a fair amount of research and will have many questions for all of you.  Thank you to the moderator/individual who created this website as i'm optimistic this forum will provide me the means to prepare better curries down the road which my family loves.

I am always open to questions, comments and critiquing.

Ryan

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Fan - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada joining the ranks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:24 AM »
Hello Ryan and welcome to the forum

All the answers you need are here....it just finding them!

Have fun

Regards

Mick

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Fan - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada joining the ranks
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Welcome, Ryan.  I spent some time in Canada (Ontario) between 1985 and 1990, but to the best of my recollection there were no Indian restaurants in either Kitchener or Waterloo at that time.  There was, however, an extremely good multi-ethnic grocer in Waterloo from whom one could obtain almost anything, so when I needed a curry I would make one myself.  Returning to the UK was great, as good curries could be found everywhere, but these days they are few and far between, and now even in the UK it is probably better to make a curry for oneself than to rely on the local takeaway or restaurant.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes