Author Topic: Bulk chicken madras, 10 portions in electric pressure cooker  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
In recent years I've drifted away from the "classic" approach of cooking single portions from a base sauce, reduced in a pan. Mainly as I find it more convenient and time efficient to cook a big pot of curry and portion out for the freezer, so I only cook and clear up once.

I wrote the below out for a friend who wanted to have a go and thought it's worth sharing here. Because the amount of liquid is limited, I do think an electric pressure cooker is necessary for this recipe. A normal pan or conventional pressure cooker would lose too much in evaporation and burning would be an issue I think. The intention is that the receipe finishes up at the correct consistency of a finished curry as there is no final reduction stage.

I must give nods in the direction of Chewytikka, ifindforu and JB, all of whom I have referred to as sourceS of inspiration over the years. Who among us can say a recipe is entirely our own creation after all?

First make a mixed curry powder with the following proportions:
5 parts turmeric powder
5 parts mild madras curry powder
3 parts cumin powder
3 parts coriander powder
2 parts paprika
1 part garam masala
The "part" can be any size you like.  I usually use 1 part = 1 level tbsp which would give you more mixed powder than these recipes require.

For the main curry sauce, an electric pressure cooker is essential, as there is not enough liquid for it to cook sufficiently without burning in a normal saucepan, plus the evaporation from a normal pan would throw off the proportions.

Main sauce (stage 1): Ingredients

2kg roughly sliced onions (weight after peeling and slicing)
60g green pepper
1 small potato sliced 50g, no more
50g carrot
500ml chicken stock
1.75 lvl tsp salt
40g coriander stalks
20g coconut cream block
125g veg oil
1.5 heaped dessertspoonful turmeric

Add the above ingredients to the electric pressure cooker and cook at pressure for 30 mins, then release pressure and stir. Now cook again at pressure for 40 mins. Depressurise.

Thinly slice two cloves of garlic and fry in 2 tbsp oil until mid brown in colour. Add the garlic and oil to the cooked sauce and blend well with a stick blender until completely smooth.

stage 2 for chicken madras
400ml/320g oil
200g/7 heaped tbsp garlic&ginger paste
20g/ 3 level tbsp chilli powder
12g salt
50g/ 7 level tablespoon mix powder
3 level tablespoon kasoori methi leaves (dried fenugreek leaves)
100g / 4 heaped tbsp Pataks madras kebab paste
100g Tom pur

©2024 Curry Recipes