Author Topic: New member  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Slocke1

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« on: December 14, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Hi, I'm a new member and have been a avid curry fan for a long while and so glad to have found this site ( even thought it is some what massive, and going to take a while to navigate around!) looking forward to the many tips etc. Having not yet had a good look round would anyone be able to offer advice on how best to tackle making rice, it's the one area of cooking that I dislike and usually just stick with boil in the bag which is often quite bland, I have considered a rice maker but have read mixed reviews, any help would be greatly appreciated  :D :D :D

Offline redman1212

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum and prepare to have some great tasting curries.  ;D

Re rice you could have a look through here.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/board,86.0.html

People seem to have their own favourite 'go to' recipe  so you have to try a few and see what works for you.
Personally (and briefly) I soak/wash rice for 30 minutes, boil it in excess water for 5 minutes, drain, allow to cool, spread on a baking and put in a low oven to dry off and then 'fluff' using forks. It freezes really well and once defrosted can be revived by 3 minutes in a microwave. Lovely and fluffy rice every time. To make it more interesting you can fried off some spices prior to boiling, cook 1/4 of the rice with turmeric and once dried recombine and/or add spots of food colouring to the baking tray for pilau rice

Offline m0rq

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 09:29 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Cooking rice for some is a science just like making a curry dish, and I've tried some of the recipes (Pilau mainly) which turned out quite nice, but after all it is too much of work for me on a "daily curry" basis, where I rather concentrate on the curry itself.

What I do now and am very pleased with is a simple rice cooker. I toss in the desired quantity rice with water, some salt, a pinch turmeric for the color, a spice mixture (love MDHs Pilau Mix) and a handful of peas, let it cook and when the curry is ready the rice is too. That's the simplest and quickest method for me when just making a curry for one.

If I had to serve a bunch of guests I'd probably invest more work in a Pilau made in the pan and oven, but that needs some time and practice.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:16 PM »
Would anyone be able to offer advice on how best to tackle making rice?
Microwave pulao rice is simplicity itself :  my "perfect pulao" thread gives all the details.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes