Author Topic: Cooking for the masses  (Read 2059 times)

Offline jimmyja

• Chef
    • View Profile
Cooking for the masses
« on: January 10, 2017, 03:03 PM »
I've been asked to cook some food up for a party, about 60 guests.,

Im doing  a curry and a chiili.

I have two 10 litre soup kettles, the plan is heat the chilli  and curry at least 72 degrees for 5 mins until really hot, pop it in the food kettle and transport to location where it will be plugged and put on hot hold til ready to serve.

Location about 10 mins away.

Rice..... This is the bit im struggling with.

Thinking about 3.5 kiols uncooked basmati.

I usually soak my rice for an hour or two. Then pan of water to boiling, dump drained rice and cook til just al dente. I drain it pop it back in the pan and leave until im ready to servce.. No more than half hour. I've never been ill off it.

In this instance, ill probably split the rice cooking into two batches.

Cook it as above, drain and store in large container.

Then repeat and add to container, transport to location and serve.

Will this be ok.

Another option I've considered, just dumping it all in a sterilised cool box big enough to hold this volume of rice,

Thoughts would be appreciated. Or any tried and tested methods.

Thanks.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking for the masses
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:14 PM »
I cook for a lot of people from 8-120 guests and it's a lot of work but well worth it, if you are only 10 minutes away i would cook your rice as normal and use the big foil trays and cover tightly with foil. If putting these in the car put something underneath because it will get really hot.

Will you be serving the food or will it be just left out for people to help themselves?

Something like these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingfisher-Disposable-Catering-Serving-Party-Foil-Platters-14-Inches-Pack-Of-20-/351902086458

Offline jimmyja

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Thanks Unclefrank,

Much appreciated, the idea is for the guests to serve themselves. I'll do as you suggest I was looking at 1/1 gastronorm foil pans. I think I'll probably to about 5 kilo of uncooked rice, should be enough, I'm doing onion bhajis and poppadum's  and dips and a load of garlic dough balls.

The plan is heat chilli, curry, my brother will take it down to the venue and decant into pre warmed soup kettles 10 litre buffaloes,  ill then bring the rice when its all cooked ready to serve straight away.

Thanks for your advice, the rice wont be sitting longer than half hour from cooked.

You reckon this will be ok?

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:54 AM »
I would say so, just keep it covered tightly.

Offline jimmyja

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:43 PM »
Nice one, much appreciated.

©2024 Curry Recipes