Author Topic: Last night's feast  (Read 4306 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Last night's feast
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Had a couple of friends round for dinner last night.On the menu chicken shaslik,chiken tikka massala,balti chili garlic rezalla,chicken tikka pathia,garam massala,bombay aloo,sag aloo,chana massla,pilau rice,keema rice,peshawari naan and chilli keema naan.

Managed to save a bit for Sunday dinner..

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Last night's feast
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Had a couple of friends round for dinner last night.On the menu chicken shaslik, chiken tikka massala, balti chili garlic rezalla, chicken tikka pathia, garam massala, bombay aloo, sag aloo, chana massala, pilau rice, keema rice, peshawari naan and chilli keema naan.

"A couple of friends" and 12 dishes :  /someone/ either has very hungry friends or far too much time on his hands !
** Phil.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:17 PM »
A lot of hard work(and washing up!) but very enjoyable indeed.My guests thought it was better than any takeaway so the effort was well worth it.

One of the things that went down well were the naan breads.I did peshwari naan and chill keema naan(the peshwari naan mix recipe I got from one of my recent kitchen visits and I'll post it later).The thing is although I've been quite satisfied with my curry cooking I've never really been able to reproduce a decent BIR naan bread.Even with the aid of my tandoor they've never been quite there.However after following Ha4ppy for Chris's technique I've finally cracked it.To be honest the method/recipe is not that different to what I've been using but Chris's recipe is perfect.The secret I think is the resting time,it's very important for the recipe to work.They were 100% spot on,in fact better than most takeaway naan breads I get.I think the bag they send the things in tend to make them go soggy.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Had a couple of friends round for dinner last night.On the menu chicken shaslik, chiken tikka massala, balti chili garlic rezalla, chicken tikka pathia, garam massala, bombay aloo, sag aloo, chana massala, pilau rice, keema rice, peshawari naan and chilli keema naan.

"A couple of friends" and 12 dishes :  /someone/ either has very hungry friends or far too much time on his hands !
** Phil.

You're right once I started cooking I got a bit carried away.I had so much gravy I could have probably cooked about 40 main courses!

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Absolutely wonderful looking spread there JB, i know how you feel once you start cooking you just can't stop, i have had excellent results with Happy's naan bread recipe also and cooked in my Tandoori oven.
What Chicken Shaslik and balti chili garlic rezalla  recipe did you use ?
Thanks

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Absolutely wonderful looking spread there JB, i know how you feel once you start cooking you just can't stop, i have had excellent results with Happy's naan bread recipe also and cooked in my Tandoori oven.
What Chicken Shaslik and balti chili garlic rezalla  recipe did you use ?
Thanks

The shaslik marinade is based on the one I was shown here..

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,14241.0.html

In the takeaway the Chef uses the same principle ingredients for shaslik marrinade as he does for tikka.He basically uses a bit more garam massala paste,more mustard powder and mustard oil.He also uses a bit more red colour..

The Rezalla recipe is based on this one..

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,14562.0.html

To that I added a touch of Pasco's balti pastesome pre fried chunky onions and peppers and two teaspoon's of garlic pickle (Ahmed brand).

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 08:29 PM »
Thanks a lot JB

©2024 Curry Recipes