Author Topic: Khanum chilli pickle  (Read 3043 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Khanum chilli pickle
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:23 PM »
I have no idea where or when I acquired a jar of Khanum chilli pickle, but I spotted it in the 'fridge today and, having some left-over pizza crust to eat up, tried a combination of the two.  I have to say, the Khanum pickle was superb.  I have tried other chilli pickles in the past but this one was head and shoulders above all others I have tried at home, and as good as I have ever eaten in a restaurant.  Highly recommended.

** Phil.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Khanum chilli pickle
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:40 PM »
Pataks lime pickle is a particular favourite of mine to eat as is spread inside a split pitta bread.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Pataks lime pickle is a particular favourite of mine to eat as is spread inside a split pitta bread.
Agreed, but it has to be the hot one; the mild is a waste of time (IMHO).
** Phil.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Spot on there Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:36 AM »
I added some KCP to a (rather poor) Waitrose lamb biriani last night, and it certainly perked up a rather poor dish, but when I then tried Patak's mixed pickle it was an unmitigated disaster, the (almost rancid) oil flavour of the latter really breaking through.  I now see that Khanum use sunflower oil while Patak's use "vegetable oil" (domestic) or rapeseed oil (catering).  I think I shall now try to source some Khanum mixed pickle and lime pickle and see how they compare to Patak's.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Haven't tried KCP but am addicted to Mother's Recipe garlic pickle at the moment.

Originally bought it to use in an achari curry but can't stop putting it on or in other stuff - pizza, oatcakes, toasties to name but  a few.

©2024 Curry Recipes