Author Topic: "Spice Mix" (Bruce Edwards)  (Read 13509 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
"Spice Mix" (Bruce Edwards)
« on: January 20, 2007, 12:39 PM »
Hi All,

This is the "Bruce Edwards' Spice Mix" that you might come across quite often on this site:

• 8 parts coriander powder
  • 7 parts tumeric powder
  • 5 parts cumin powder
  • 4 parts curry powder
  • 4 parts paprika (optional)

Simply measure the required quantities (e.g. teaspoons full), mix together and store in an air-tight jar, in a cool place, out of direct sunlight.

Regards,

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: "Spice Mix" (Bruce Edwards)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 01:39 PM »
Its fair to say this is one the most popular spice mixes on the site, if you see a call for spice mix, restaurant masala or anything of that nature you can use this.

Offline Dan Sak

• Chef
    • View Profile
What "curry powder" in this mix ?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:16 PM »
Hi

Beginner here, so sorry if it's a stupid question, One of the ingredients is "curry powder" which is what I thought this was a recipe for. I have some Rajah mixed curry powder but the ingredients list on that are just turmeric, coriander, chile and cumin, which are basically the rest of the ingredients in this mix. What would be a good curry powder to use? My nearest asian supermarket (Quality Foods at Ilford, Essex) has a massive selection.

Cheers

Tom

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 12:13 AM »
Hi Tom,

Welcome to cr0 Tom  8)

It's a very good and pertinent question!

As far as I can see, Bruce Edwards doesn't actually specify a brand (or type) of curry powder to use.  I presume the intent of adding it is to add a balance of OTHER minor spices (i.e. OTHER than the coriander, tumeric, cumin or paprika)....unless someone else knows of another reason?

As you say, Rajah curry powder is pretty basic and will not add much (if anything) in terms of other minor ingredients!  I would chose a mild or medium curry powder that has a better balance of other minor ingredients accordingly.  I would avoid hot because that tends to just have more chilli powder in it.

I think you're also right - the inclusion of curry powder actually seems to be a bit of a cop out to me, though this is what BIRs purportedly do.  They will use many other readily available, cheap, convenient and commercially available blends of masalas and pastes too! 

To me, it would be better (i.e. more controlled and repeatable) to specifically add the minor spices that are specifically required.  This might be difficult if the quantities are very small, of course.  But, if they are, why even bother?

The other common BIR brands of curry powder are TRS and East End (purportedly)

PS:  You can follow the links in this thread to download Bruce Edwards' stuff:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1953.0
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 12:30 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:10 PM »
I've been using this Bruce Edward's mix recently, with good results.  I discovered it, and indeed, Cr0; after 'googling' Bruce Edward's.  I was a member of the Curry Club back in the 90s, when he published some stuff in the Curry Club mag.  In one of his articles he mentioned three spices mixes that he thought BIRs might use, and I used his 'medium mixture' till I found his updated mix (the one containing curry powder) on Cr0.

In my first batch, I used curry powder by Schwartz, and result was OK. The  Schwartz Curry powder was not at all like the stuff on sale years back which tended to be just yellow, with a smell of not much more than Tumeric.  In my last batch, having read some contributions on Cr0, I used A Basaar mix (I used 'King of Spices' Kashmiri Basaar and I could not get hold of the recommended '5 Star' or 'East End' stuff.  In found it in one of the Indian Grocer's shops in Crawley.  This Basaar smells very nice, and in it I can detect the aromers of Fengreek, corriander and Turmeric.  It does not have a list of ingredients, but mixed-up as per Bruce Edward's instructions it produces a very good result!

Offline SKAZE

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:26 PM »
Im going to be making up a batch of this mix tomo, i have a medium madras curry powder, will this be ok, im presuming it will be.

Also, i know its best to use seeds, dry roast them and them grind them up to make this mix, how ever, i have not dry roasted before and am worried that if i burn the spices then use them i will ruin anything that i use the mix in.

Do people get just as good results suing supermarket ready ground spices.

Im going to be shown by a friend how to dry roast soon, im sure its simple but wouldnt mind a demo and some advise before having a go at it blind.

Hope some one can clear up my querys, thanks!

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 01:18 AM »
Nah, go for it yourself and do the roasting. Its pretty easy. Low heat until the aroma comes out. Doesn't take long.

I dry roast and grind my own cumin, coriander, and garam masala. The other key ingredients like turmeric and curry powder its easier to buy the stuff from the grocers. The Rajah Madras Gold seems to get good reviews.

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:21 AM »
right or wrongly i don't roast cumin or coriander when making spice mix - i just grind them.

i only roast them when making garam masala.

i've assumed that because they are going to be fried they don't need the pre roasting.
Chris303 has a good technique on roasting - which i use (does them individually). that way u can control the heat better on the finer spices.

Offline Jenk

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:32 AM »
Ive made this today - it smells amazing.  Cant wait to try it in a base mix

Emma x

©2024 Curry Recipes