Author Topic: Getting your local BIR to let you into the know  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Getting your local BIR to let you into the know
« on: December 05, 2007, 06:32 PM »
Having lived in St Andrews for about 5 years and still visting there every weekend, my local BIR has come to be The Balaka. The Balaka is a fairly upmarket BIR and won the Pat Chapman's best Indian restaurant in Britain 2001.

I go there regularly with my gf and we spend quite a lot of money. After reading their website www.balaka.com/ it talks of a herb garden and says feel free to ask for some fresh herbs to take home when visiting the restaurant.

So, I did the whole "so I hear you have a herb garden outside" thing, and one of my favourite staff members there, a middle aged Indian man, actually took me outside to this large allotment where they grow their fresh herbs and gave me some Coriander while we had a great conversation about growing herbs etc.

With friendly customer service like this, I wonder if I would be in with a chance at watching my curry being prepared, or even for them to write down their base sauce recipe, because the quality of there food is top notch.

The thing is, I wouldn't want to come across as out of line in my request as I really like these people and they give me discounts, free popodums etc, something I really don't want to put on the line  ::)  8)

How should I approach the issue of getting The Balaka to share some knowledge with me?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Getting your local BIR to let you into the know
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 07:18 PM »
I'm sure Haldi could give you some tips  8)

Just mention that your into making curry at home and mention the base, if he clams up and doesn't talk to you about it you've got your work cut out.  The guy might laugh about it, i've had that a few times, when you mention the base they know your serious and then clam up, again you will find it hard work.  If they seem interested and willing to discuss the base your half way there to a demo, thats my experience anyway   ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:03 AM »
Lol, I'm going to have to case the joint to make sure the extra helpful staff member is on duty. Secret agent BIR style  8)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 08:01 AM »
How should I approach the issue of getting The Balaka to share some knowledge with me?
If you want to get in, then make sure you approach them on a Tuesday or Wednesday
(unless they open on Mondays) because these are all quiet days (especially Tuesdays)
Don't make arrangements for several days ahead
They won't remember
Try not to be over interested, some of what you see are "trade secrets" which they might not want the competition to know
Make sure you are buying a curry
Simply ask to see it cooked
I would be very surprised if you are flatly refused (unless you look threatening)
When you are in the kitchens there will be lots of opportunities to see,ask and learn

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Thanks Haldi - thats just what I was after. Haha, it looks like you've got this well practised. I really hope I can get the base sauce recipe, as a base sauce from a Pat Chapmans best in Britain restaurant would be a dream.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 07:57 PM »
After my work xmas office outing (all day drinking session) I decided to do a little research, my choice of restaurant, Shezan Tandoori, Edinburgh. The mission was a failure but I'm turning this into a positive thing by sharing my findings with you in the form of a 'what not to do' list.

Show up extremely drunk
Choose a very busy Friday night
Use lines such as "If I buy a curry, can I watch you make it?"
Question their reasoning when denyed access to the kitchen

On a better note, they took my number and the manager is going to give me a call back. Not that I'm bothered because the chicken Madras was awful. It stank of some kind of chicken stock and was minimally spiced with little heat.

I think fundamentally, my findings suggest that the likelihood of getting into the kitchen varies in inverse proportion to how much alcohol you consume.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 08:43 PM »

I think fundamentally, my findings suggest that the likelihood of getting into the kitchen varies in inverse proportion to how much alcohol you consume.

Especially as most are Muslims - and they hate alcohol !!!!

They probably made your curry especially bad to get their own back - or thought you wouldn't even notice :-)

Never mind, sounds like you had some fun trying - we've all been there sometime or other. Better luck next time mate.

Best wishes for the New Year
Regards
SnS

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Well it's funny you should say that because they gave me free popodums and spicy onion raita and another gloopy thing also, so I think they actually tried quite hard. I've since googled the restaurant and it gets slated by pretty much everyone, so I think it is just really, really bad.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 09:58 PM »
Well it's funny you should say that because they gave me free popodums and spicy onion raita and another gloopy thing also, so I think they actually tried quite hard. I've since googled the restaurant and it gets slated by pretty much everyone, so I think it is just really, really bad.

Back to the Balaka next time then eh? ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Lol, I'm in St Andrews today actually but I had a little look and it was busy. I'm gonna approach this one a little more seriously  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes