Author Topic: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron  (Read 338473 times)

Offline Rai

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Gravy from visit to Saffron
« Reply #380 on: March 24, 2008, 03:15 AM »
I'm sticking to the salad spuds (personal preference)

"personal preference" lmao! ;D ::)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 24, 2008, 10:42 AM »
added 1 x red capsicum pepper
added 1 x carrot
replaced 25ml paprika with 25ml MDS Kashmiri Mirch

...I will revert back to waxy type (salad) spuds as I'm now convinced that this does influence the base viscosity which in turn prevents oil separation.

SnS  ;D

So you added two new ingredients, changed one spice and yet concluded that the potato was the overriding factor? Hmmmm!

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2008, 01:02 PM »
Hi SS

You're right of course, it's not conclusive.

The next batch may prove the point as all the ingredients (except spuds) will remain the same.

SnS  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 24, 2008, 01:42 PM »
concluded that the potato was the overriding factor

i'd taken conclusions as:
1) the red pepper was improvement - added sweetness & creaminess
2) the type of potatoes is not significant - use which type u like
3) the extra carrot was improvement albeit not essential - increased thickness

i guess smokenspices given the lawyers on the site u will need to adjudicate

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 24, 2008, 01:59 PM »
Hi Jerry

I'm not really sure how much the "creamier" taste had to do with the extra carrot or pepper although I'm quite sure that the additional sweetness came from these two ingredients. Although, these probably did thicken the gravy somewhat, I suspect it was the floury potato that played the largest part. As SS correctly pointed out, this was non conclusive and can only be confirmed after my next batch when I revert back to waxy salad spuds.

Regards

SnS  ;D

Offline currytester

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:12 PM by smokenspices »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 01, 2008, 08:02 PM »
SNS,

for info on my last batch i used normal spuds instead of the salads. i only had memory to compare against but felt there was no significant difference in taste or thickness.

the curries made were just as good as always (madras curry, pathia & CTM).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 21, 2008, 10:45 AM »
i've had an astonishing turn of luck.

i've produce my best go at the saffron base yet. it's no longer a soup. it's very Moorish and on a blind fold test would swear (although i've never tasted the real) it's a BIR base. i say this as it tastes almost a BIR finished curry and u could imagine a quick fry and a few spices turning it into what we crave for.

i believe the recipe is essential as spec. only the finish point or last part of the cooking has changed from the way i've interpreted it in the past.

i did add red pepper in addition to green pepper. i also added cardamom (7 in total - they float on top at the point of blending and can be easily removed - i then added them back in to carry through to final cooking - personal choice). i used the full spec of salt (only used 1 tsp in the past). i also used pre boiled onion from my onion boiling sessions.

all of the above may have made a difference but not a step difference.

at the end of the "Simmer vigorously (almost a boil) uncovered for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally." stage i've never found the oil to separate - even boiling for a little longer and have simple switched off the cooker. it normally has a yellow appearance.

this time i had put a little extra oil in with the intent on reclaiming it for use at the cooking stage. i used 600ml c/w 500ml spec.

i thought for a while that previous experience was going to hold up and no oil would show. in fact it took 2 hrs before the oil started to appear. this yielded 250ml of reclaim. i left the base overnight and thought i would try to follow BIR technique so reheated ~1.5 hrs and reclaimed again yielding 450ml in total. i found the reclaim easier on the reheat.

during this 3.5 hrs additional cooking the base flavour changed. there was no extra sweetness but it changed from a sort of soup to what i would call a base. it now tastes Moorish and looks the business.

I think it was this Moorish taste that I was searching for and not sweetness. I now need to cook with it to be sure.

I?ve attached pics. 1st is old pic of rajver LH and saffron RH. The 2nd is the oil reclaim saffron

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 21, 2008, 10:51 AM »
JerryM,

Try the Jalfrezi recipe i mentioned, with the squeeze of lime, your in for a treat.

Stew

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 21, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Stew,

it's all lined up for tonight before the big match.

even spotted the timing for the chillies and lime.

your original post on the jalfrezi has been a real inspiration for me over the last few days - much appreciated

©2024 Curry Recipes