Author Topic: the real base sauce taught by Indian chef  (Read 45266 times)

Offline ast

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: the real base sauce taught by Indian chef
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2008, 10:39 PM »
Hi ronnoc,

Well, you can count to three if you like.  I made this yesterday along with the cr0b2.  I'll post full details and pictures hopefully sometime in the week--will be a pretty mad week trying to pull a proposal together, so don't know how much time I'll have between now and then (painting again today... :().

Anyway, I love the smell of this base, but I wasn't too happy with the resulting curries.  I have a theory I want to try the next time I get a chance to cook that I think will make the difference.  When I've verified this yea or nay, I'll try and illustrate what I did to see if it helps anyone else (or if it doesn't work, if anyone else has any ideas too).

Sorry to keep you in limbo, but a bit wrecked at the moment.

Cheers,

ast

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2008, 11:19 PM »
It is a "no no" in the context of adding 1/4 of a pint of it to make a korma Ronnoc (in my opinion).  It simply is not an option to using single cream, double cream, or milk.  The result will be dramatically different.  It will be much sourer and BIR kormas are not sour (in the slightest).  I'm sorry if you can't seem to see that Ronnoc?

Nevertheless, Ronnoc, what you are apparently trying to present is recipes from a particular chef in a particular takeaway.  It's still not clear, from your posts, which ingredients HE actually uses when HE makes HIS korma?

Thanks for your forbearance and perseverance in giving your recipes the best chance of success Ronnoc  ;)

You want people to have success with your recipes don't you Ronnoc?  :-\

Perhaps you have the takeaway madras recipe instead?  I think most of us would be able to better relate to that Ronnoc  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 11:57 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2008, 11:25 PM »
Just a quick observation.... surely most bases are real bases? I am sure there thousands of establishments all over the UK all using different yet similar bases. Even my local turkish kebab shop can produce a tasty sizzling indian curry in several minutes.

Quote from: SnS
I'm not 100% sure what your real point is Chris

I think that Chris's point is simply that it is claimed that this base is "the real base", perhaps implying that all the others (including all the others on on here, for example) are not?

I think Chris is suggesting that there are actually many more than just one "real base".  I agree.  As you say, there are many similarities, but also subtle (and sometimes dramatic...like using cabbage for instance) differences.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 11:55 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2008, 11:34 PM »
Quote from: SnS
I'm not 100% sure what your real point is Chris

I think that Chris's point is simply that it is claimed that this base is the "real base", implying that all the others (including all the others on on here, for example) are not?

I think Chris is suggesting that there are actually many more than just one "real base".  I agree.  As you say, there are many similarities, but also subtle (and sometimes dramatic) differences.

Sorry Chris. I now see (thanks CA). It is the thread title that is a little misleading (perhaps "A real base sauce taught by Indian Chef" would have been more appropriate).

Most of the curry base recipes on this site are comprised from information gleamed from local BIR's, so I guess they're all real (or close) to varying degrees.

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2008, 12:25 AM »
only to be slated by people

It would probably be far more constructive to consider these questions and statements as "seeking clarification" rather than "slating" you Ronnoc.

a lesson well learned for you all

Yes, thanks for teaching us all that valuable lesson, Ronnoc.  Sage advise (to us all) I'm sure.

i was also about to let you in on the other secrets needed to make some of the other dishes but for what thanks

Never mind, it probably saved us another umpteen pages of going around in circles, and upsetting you, then.

Ronnoc, I'm sure we all appreciate your efforts, and I'm sure we are all keen to hear about your experiences and recipes.  But your approach and attitude do not seem to be conducive to an open forum such as this.  People are bound to ask questions and you need to be receptive to answering them without getting upset.  Unfortunately, you don't seem to be.  You seem to rather prefer to to consider any questions or statements as personal attacks on you. 

We've been down this road before I'm afraid.

good luck with your forum

Thanks Ronnoc, and good luck with your baby  :)

I'm temporarily locking this thread.  Anyone should please feel free to send me a Personal Message if they feel it should be unlocked again.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Ronnoc, I'm sure we all appreciate your efforts, and I'm sure we are all keen to hear about your experiences and recipes.  But your approach and attitude do not seem to be conducive to an open forum such as this.  People are bound to ask questions and you need to be receptive to answering them without getting upset.  Unfortunately, you don't seem to be.  You seem to rather prefer to to consider any questions or statements as personal attacks on you. 

I agree. Jerry reminded me of this thread, again, in a recent (2012) post. What a waste of space but at least we pretty much shot his recipes to bits. They may have been 'almost there' and potentially good but the OP was ultimately unhelpful, failed to clarify matters and was all over the place with numerous options and other uncertainties.

©2024 Curry Recipes