Author Topic: LB's Balti Spice Mix  (Read 17160 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: LB's Balti Spice Mix
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 01:20 PM »
Google some authentic recipes, you'll be surprised just how basic some of them are in terms of spicing and relying instead on cooking technique.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 10:23 AM »
When using the 50:50 LB+ spice mix/rajah hot curry powder I am getting a good tasting curry sauce.

However when comparing side by side with a BIR - 2 things are missing sweetness and smokey flavour

I intend to up the sugar in the LB+ spice mix aiming for more caramalisation to address the missing sweetness (the move from LB to LB+ has helped but not quite there)

I?ve adopted Domi?s method of frying the spices
 http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2548.msg22523.html#msg22523(How Hot do I have to get my Spices) 

to address the missing smokey flavour as the method generates a massive amount of  ?toffee/choking? smell/smoke  (I now have to open a window or door)

The method is ingenious for me as it allows the tom puree and garlic/ginger to be fried without the addition of water (ie making a paste).

Have set out Domi?s method of Frying the spices based on qty?s for one 1 portion of curry (~200ml finish vol)

a)   set out the ingredients up front so they can be added quickly and easily
b)   measure out spice powders into a cup (1tsp spice mix ie LB+, 1 tsp curry power ie rajah hot ? it?s no hotter than a madras)
c)   mix 2 tbsp of tom puree with finely chopped garlic (I use 2 tbsp/4 cloves) (I find the garlic good enough on it?s own but fresh ginger could be added for personal taste). This is the ingenious part as the mixture becomes much quicker to add than the individual ingredients on their own (this was why I originally used water to make a paste)
d)   add some vegetable oil (between 1 and 4 tsp, down to personal preference) to frying pan or wok on the cooker and turn on full power (size/weight of pan now no longer matters)(setting 6 on my electric hob)
e)   when pan just starts to smoke add the garlic/tom puree mixture and fry until the rawness smell has gone (no longer than 30 secs)
f)   then add the spice powders and fry until the toffee/choking smell is produced (very quick, no longer than 15 secs)
g)   add 1/2 ladle of base (50/75ml) and fry until slight toffee/choking smell (until most of water in base has evaporated, approx 1 to 2 mins) (optional stage)
h)   turn heat down to low simmer (2 on my electric hob) and add rest of base 1 ? ladle (225ml)
i)   add pre cooked ingredients, 1 tsp methi (optional) and fresh coriander and simmer for five mins

all including Domi, please add any missing details or other key points.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Thanks Jerry ;)

I would say that at part c, if you are worried about burning the ingredients, add a little raw finely chopped onion to the mixture as it lowers the heat in the pan a little more and gives you a little more time (and it's easier as when the onion is soft, it's more or less time to throw in your spices. It's an easier version of parker21's method but it's a good stepping stone for the less confident as it gives you a little breathing time. :)

As Jerry says, remember to have your ingredients prepped, you don't get a great deal of time for running about the kitchen lol

Also keep having a sniff when you're cooking but be careful as it's heady stuff :o great for clearing your sinuses though ;D

oops! one more thing, I wouldn't recommend substituting the tomato paste for chopped tinned or fresh tomatoes, it just doesn't have the same effect....in my opinion anyways :-\

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 08:06 PM »
i've finished adapting the LB spice mix and list the final mix:

Balti Spice Mix (LB+2):

20 ml (4tsp) paprika
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) chilli powder
5 ml (1tsp) salt
20 ml (4 tsp) ground coriander
5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
20ml (3 tsp) sugar
5ml (1tsp) La Chinata Smoked Paprika

it produces a sweet smokey variation to the original

i use in the ratio 50:50 with rajah hot madras curry powder (it's not hot at all, just a slight nip) with 1 tsp of each going into 1 portion of sauce (200ml finished)

Offline Tamala

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 02:06 AM »

i use in the ratio 50:50 with rajah hot madras curry powder

You confuse me jerry

1)  Im sure birs dont use smoked paprika, in fact ive never ever seen it
2)  You say you dont like tumeric, yet its the main ingredient of Rajah curry powder, which you say is "spot on"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 02:20 AM by Tamala »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 07:06 PM »
Tamala,

i'm appreciative you're interested in this as i too feel it to be important.

1) i've compared side by side the made madras sauce with a BIR TA. the bought sauce has more sweetness and a slight smokey flavour. i think the BIR smokey flavour is probably down to the heat at which they cook (i also have on my mind the use of reclaimed oil). the smoked paprika is merely a cheat to get a similar flavour and the chinata is the closest i've found.

i'd never seen it until Domi suggested it. i've started adding to my none Asian cooking and it's doing the same trick there (paella for example).

2) i really don't like tumeric. i made the KD sauce for years without it. in any base i make off the forum i reduce it down to 1tsp. i've only started using it since CA and i think Haldi pointed out that u can see it (the yellow oil) in the BIR - so it's clearly used. i've simply minimised how much i use of it so it does not overpower. the rajah curry powder is a real find. for years i tried to make my own and felt that the bought powders would just not come up to the mark. i was wrong they do. it really is good.

as with everything what someone finds nice is not always the case for someone else. i like garlic, onion and tomato based BIR curries. this is what i've tried to copy and i feel it's pretty close.

hope this helps.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 08:16 AM »
since making the SnS June 08 Madras (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2783.0)(which is top notch) i've come to the conclusion that i can reduce the amount of tom puree at frying stage.

i am now using 1 tbsp instead of 2 tbsp without any discernable reduction in taste.

in the above post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2444.msg22679#msg22679
c) mix 2 tbsp of tom puree with finely chopped garlic

this should now read 1 tbsp.

I?ve also has the audacity of one of the family complaining that the curry is too sweet. The sweetness is spot on for me comparing to BIR but some may wish to reduce the sugar in the spice mix

So ? ?in Balti Spice Mix (LB+2)? http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2444.msg23108#msg23108 u could reduce the sugar from 3 tsp to say 1tsp if u felt it necessary ? I must admit I?m not changing it and will put up with the family insults.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 10:37 AM »
see link http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2672.msg25772#msg25772

i've started adding jaggery to my bases and find i don't need sugar in the spice mix anymore so revised spec is:

Balti Spice Mix (LB+2):

20 ml (4tsp) paprika
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) chilli powder
5 ml (1tsp) salt
5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin

i still use in the ratio 50:50 with rajah hot madras curry powder (1 tsp ea per 200ml portion of curry)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 08:09 AM »
i have no explanation why (possible salt or emulsification frying technique) but i've reverted back to the original LB spice mix finding it too "smokey" ie i've ditched use of the smoked paprika. i still use the smoked paprika in none curry cooking and it works a treat (ie paella)

i'm also thinking of removing the salt so that i can more accurately control the amount added at cooking time (now using 1/4 tsp per 200ml finished portion). it probably also applies to the chilli as i've started adding it direct at the frying stage (now using 1/4 tsp per 200ml finished portion).

the spec reverts (LB+3):

20 ml (4tsp) paprika
5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin

my current madras sauce recipe is at http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3128.msg28019#msg28019

©2024 Curry Recipes