Author Topic: Kashmiri masala- (mama gupta)  (Read 6283 times)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Kashmiri masala- (mama gupta)
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:50 PM »
hi guys this is the recipe i have for kashmiri masala.

different types of masalas or spice mixes are used in different parts of India.this masala is from kashmir  the northern most tip of India. it is similar to garam masala but also contains "kala jeera" or black cumin which grows in abundance in kashmir. to lift the aromasall spices are roasted separately and then mixed. this recipe gives 2-3 servings

ingredients
4 cinnamon sticks (dalchiri)
4 tbsp black cumin(kala jeera)
2-3 bay leaves(tej patta)
2 tbsp green cardamoms(choti illaichi)
4 tbsp black peppercorns(kali mirch)
1/2 tbsp cloves(laung/lavang)
1 tbsp fennel(optional)(saunf)
1 tsp mace(jauitri)
a large pinch of nutmeg(jaiphal)

at least this gives peeps a choice

regards
gary

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kashmiri masala- (mama gupta)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:12 PM »
gary,

spotted this post and will give it a go.

thanks,

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:19 PM »
gary,

have made your Kashmiri masala along with a batch of issiemc's (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2721.0.html).

i used both to make the mint sauce (your recipe).

i'll put detail thoughts in the mint sauce link (more relevant).

i thought your Kashmiri masala very good. so much so that i intend trying out as part of my spice mix when i make the next base.

many thanks real good stuff.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 06:49 PM »
hi jerry
if you check out petes brick lane visit the base sauce uses kashmiri masala maybe a good guide of how much to use!

regards
gary

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:33 AM »
gary,

thanks for suggestion - had not come across pete's post before and found it very interesting.

links:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,118.0.html
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,845.0.html

the 2 pan cooking technique (one to pre fry the onion, pepper etc, one for the main frying) sits well with me.

also of interest is the observation that the Tower or equivalent tom puree is better than supermarket variety (more flavour and no curdling during frying) - have got to buy some.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:03 AM »
Interesting observation on the puree curdling.

I posted a little while ago asking "what is tomato puree". From the responses I got, I was using the right thing, but one of the reasons I felt compelled to ask was the curdling you mention.

Whenever I add it to the frying pan, I stir, squish, blend like heck but it most always ends up looking like frying gobs of tomato by the time I add the spices.

To compensate, I often use pasatta, which should give the same effect if I get the quantity right taking into account the concentration of the puree.

Guess its just the brands they sell here in Canada, but I've decided to just dilute a little with water, seems to help. I guess the BIR's use this "Tower Brand" for a reason.

-- Josh

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 08:26 AM »
Josh,

i read your other post to dawn spot on - i am sure your 95% there - that's about where i feel i am too.

i get this curdling probably more than most - i use Domi's technique for cooking the tom puree/garlic/ginger/onion (i only use garlic - just preference) - this involves finely chopping and mixing into the tom puree to produce a sort of ball which i drop into the frying pan. although it breaks up it sort of rolls the spices when i add them dry. i don't really have a problem with it remaining sort of curdled - i add 1/2 a ladle after the spices and fry this off - this seems to settle things.

the tower brand seems to be top notch given its prominence in my local Asian suppliers. next time i'm passing i am going to buy and try. it's the taste that i'm think i'm particularly interested in compare to my bog std asda stuff.

spent a fortnight in monreal once in winter - never again

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 03:40 PM »
Many recipies, on CR0 and elsewhere seem to call for Kashmiri Masala, or Kashmiri masala paste.

I believe it can be bought ready made in jars in Asian shops.  I am aware that Pataks do it, but having used some of their stuff in the paste have been less than impressed.

Does anyone know of a good make of ready made Kashmiri Masala Paste that's not Pataks??

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 03:59 PM »
I believe that the Kashmiri Masala paste referenced in the cr0 recipes is the Patak's variety.  The Tikka, Tandoori, and Kashmiri Masala pastes seem to work well, while the sauces are pretty useless.

-- Josh

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 06:13 PM »
Guys I know Jerry tried this Masala but.

1. I was lead to believe you could not eat Bay Leaves? Is this correct?
2. Also I see Nutmeg & Mace in the same spice compound.
Did anyone find it was too strong or did you make any changes if you tried it please?

What made me look at this was Kala Jeera (Black Cumin Seeds).

Many thanks.

hi guys this is the recipe i have for kashmiri masala.

different types of masalas or spice mixes are used in different parts of India.this masala is from kashmir  the northern most tip of India. it is similar to garam masala but also contains "kala jeera" or black cumin which grows in abundance in kashmir. to lift the aromasall spices are roasted separately and then mixed. this recipe gives 2-3 servings

ingredients
4 cinnamon sticks (dalchiri)
4 tbsp black cumin(kala jeera)
2-3 bay leaves(tej patta)
2 tbsp green cardamoms(choti illaichi)
4 tbsp black peppercorns(kali mirch)
1/2 tbsp cloves(laung/lavang)
1 tbsp fennel(optional)(saunf)
1 tsp mace(jauitri)
a large pinch of nutmeg(jaiphal)

at least this gives peeps a choice

regards