Author Topic: Hot Wok Burner Kit 7.0 kW  (Read 18143 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Hot Wok Burner Kit 7.0 kW
« on: September 04, 2008, 03:55 PM »
Some of you heat-finatics may be interested in this.

SnS  ;)

The Hot Wok Set is a high-quality cooking product that makes it possible to cook the perfect wok meal. Wok Pan - 30 cm. round bottomed, carbon steel, wood handle, hook for hanging Gas Burner - cast iron, 7.000 Watt Gas-Kit - regulator and tube. Successful Wok Cooking requires not only a good Wok (ie cooking pan), but also a heat source underneath that is powerful enough to ensure minimul "frying" time, when needed, thereby sealing in the goodness in your food, and preventing that "boiled look", which always looks so unappetizing. The HotWok, in our opinion, provides a very good combination of cooking pan and heat source, giving you the potential to achieve professional results.

http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/Cooking-products/hot-wok-GB.asp

also available here

http://www.jasminalfresco.co.uk/hot_wok_outdoor_burner_id22.html

More information here

http://www.laminvale.co.uk/brandspdfs/HotWok%20Brochure%202008.pdf
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:12 PM by SnS »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Wok Burner Kit 7.0 kW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:41 PM »
i've recently bought a 2.5kw stove and feel it's a massive improvement on my 1.5kw electric hob. cooking curry on electric is a big no no.

i am real envious of this top notch burner and if the budget permits would also recommend it as a key ingredient. it's just like the one used by the Chinese lady in the recent BBC2 programme.

my 2.5kw will not work for Chinese (not enough whumph) so anyone who needs both needs the real McCoy.

i'm thinking about getting a bigger jet for my stove but i need to cook a bit more before deciding - burning the tom puree on the new stove for the 1st time ever still lingers in the kitchen air.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:26 PM »
hi jerry you should have gone for the 8.8kw burner option then you could have tried cooking the curry on simmer at 2.5kw and blasted the hot wok  in to the sky with the massive 8.8kw on full power! :D and for the price you could also buy 2 of them for the same price of the hot wok kit! :) and still had the price of my black steel BIR frying pan to buy 1 ;D
regards
gary ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 07:16 AM »
gary,

appreciate you thoughts and understood you prefer the 8.8kw.

i had a few competing needs hence the softly approach of going for the 2.5kw.

1st was it needed to fit over my existing electric hob - the 8.8kw version is much bigger and would have taken up the whole hob space.

2nd need is that i wanted to use the stove to simmer the bases - the 2.5kw is almost too hot for this on it's lowest setting.

3rd i wanted it easily portable if i found i was not able to cook indoors (the heat, fumes, splashes etc)

i'm very happy with the performance of the 2.5kw - i need to cook with it a bit to see if i can improve my technique to even start to think the hotter stove (bigger jet) would be of any use - burning the tom puree showed to me along with the very fast evaporation that i get now get that i'm not that far away from the optimum.

i'm not that fussed on Chinese so i don't have large volumes to cook - just 400ml at a time down to 200ml.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:03 AM »
update

i've switched my electric hob to gas having a 2.9kw burner. it's as good as the 2.5kw LPG stove but not significantly different "better" (which is as u would expect).

the important point for me is that i can now modify the freestanding 2.5kw LPG stove - i'm going to enlarge the jet from the existing 0.8mm to ~1.6mm. this should increase the output to ~8 kw.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 10:21 AM »
Thanks for this SnS, I have been interested in the success JerryM has been getting with his stove but as yet have decided to delay purchase due to moving home soon. I do a fair bit of Chinese cooking and this will make a huge difference. Up until my visit to The Ashoka I was well up for following JerryM's experience then the Chef tells me that he advises us all to cook on a slow flame just like him. Given my overall experience of the trip and the excellent results I have got since I have been massively influenced by him although accepting either he or I got it wrong regarding the salt content of the Bunjarra. I have also observed contrary to this the high heat even flaming of the dish in other establishments so taking your lead I will purchase one of these in due course to enhance my oriental cooking and further experimentation of Indian too.

With Haldi's excellent post featuring his Tandoor and now yours we are so near perfection. Thanks again Panpot

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 04:13 PM »
update

i've increased the stove jet from 0.8mm to 1.6 (1/16") and have attached the before and after photo's. i also needed to adjust the air vent as the flame was initially very yellow.

the difference in output is stark. it now looks very much like my TA's burner.

will update after cooking with it at the end of the weak as i'm out of base at the mo.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 08:14 AM »
Hi all, is the general concensus at the mo, that buying a gas burner will give a substantial improvement to the curry taste ? i am currently using electric cooker by the way. cheers DD

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 08:17 AM »
It really does depend on what level of curry your after. i used my electric hob and produced decent curries for many months. after buying the gas stove i never used the electric hob again. i've now even swapped my electric hob for gas.

I feel cooking on gas is a crucial part of the jigsaw. If you're missing just this once piece then probably there isn't a substantial improvement. I've not tried the higher output burner yet which i hope will make a further difference. Even if is doesn't i wouldn't be without gas again whether LPG or mains gas.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 06:27 PM »
i've cooked a test curry sauce on the 8kw stove. i did not have a full set of ingredients so i am very cautious on commenting. i did not have garlic/ginger paste for example and i feel any test essentially meaningless as a result.

the taste was no different than with the 2.5kw BUT i'm not convinced it's towel time yet.

the cooking is very different and i would add not really safe for indoor use - i set fire to the pan twice (and i mean big flames).

what was unexpected was my wife's comment that the place smelled like a TA. she was also not impressed with the smoke either.

for a long time afterwards i could not help but agree - it did smell like a TA (and not just the kitchen but most of the ground floor). this is the 1st time i've got this smell at home. it's difficult to describe the smell - it's the one as u walk in the TA - it's not a spicy smell more like smokey but not burnt.

©2024 Curry Recipes