Author Topic: Interesting account of the preperation of a base sauce in a Goa restaurant  (Read 11160 times)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
http://ourgeneralstore.typepad.com/our_general_store/hopes_diary/

Search for the bit titled "Raj's monumental curry base recipe"

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
interesting !! very close to our`s is it not .

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Yes it does seem pretty close to the ones on this forum. I found the use of cous-cous interesting, but I think it's just for thickening. What was mentioned was that long hours of cooking were required to bring out the flavour of the dry spices, I thought that was significant.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
it does seem to be all logically falling into place  ;D ;) :)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Thats a good find!  He's secret ingredients are interesting:

Soaked watermelon seeds (soaked in water for at least 12 hours), cashew nuts (toasted and blended) and soaked couscous. 

Quite a way of from chicken jelly!

Offline london_lhr

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I have an observation here regarding the couscous mentioned in this article.

On some of the Indian sites I have browsed, I have often come across the word
couscous but spelt differently. Some of the more traditional curries use? Khus Khus.
And what is Khus Khus?
It is Poppy Seeds!!!!. Also gives a 'smokey' flavour to dishes when used!

Now if this lady that wrote the article was told it was couscous, which one was it?
Did she automatically assume it was couscous (pasta type).
Is it not possible that it was in fact Khus Khus, as in Poppy Seeds?

Could be worth a try! I think Poppy seeds as an ingredient make more sense
than adding pasta derivative (couscous)Would like your thoughts on this.

Barry.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Here is the extract, sound very good and worth a shot to me: -

Raj's monumental curry base recipe
Raj is a character.? He is a 56 year old Gujerati man living in Goa.? His restaurant has been a hotspot for over 3 years now.?

Shyness as a quality does not exist in his nature. As soon as he saw me bumbling down the dusty roads of Arambol past his gaudy shack, lit up with xmas lights and blaring hindi music, he beckoned me to enter his little kingdom...an oasis for any foodie-traveller.

It was Friday, the day of preparation.? His cooks- all Tibetan and Nepalese refugees were chopping, soaking, slicing and mixing the ingredients for his famous Goan curry base.? I smelled the action and lept up to look inside the open kitchen.? I guess he saw my eager eyes and invited me to watch.?

"Keep a fair distance miss for this is messy business" Ha..I guess he has no idea how I am in the kitchen.? He donned his apron and got to business.

First...the spice base

He heated a large metal pot, on a high gas burner and added some oil.? The primary ingredients would set the tone for the flavor.

-green cardamom, crushed

-black cardamom, crushed (lovely flavor....we can find it in Canada)

-nutmeg, cinnamon sticks and a few cloves

HE FRIED THESE FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES AND THEN ADDED...

-garlic, ginger, and garlic-couscous paste (soaked and blended)

Then.... Raj scooped out handfuls of pureed onion paste (caramalized onions in ghee and then blended with a bit of salt)? I tasted this nutty brown? mixture.? Wow!!!!

Wasting is a swearword to Raj.? After he used his fingers to delve deep into the onion bowl, he poured water around the edges and cleaned out the remainders and added the soupy water remnants to the bubbling concoction.

He didn't stop there..no ...no..there is more!!!

His waiter then passed him a red bowl with a milky, thick liquid.? What was it?

His secret ingredients- soaked watermelon seeds (soaked in water for at least 12 hours), cashew nuts (toasted and blended) and soaked couscous.? These trinity of thickening elements would thicken the curry and add a wonderful texture and unique flavor.

He stirred this and did his water trick again..wasting not a drop of the milky ambrosia.? Then....crushed market tomatoes and about 4 cups of water.

He stopped and wiped his brow.? His eyes were gleaming and his mouth grinned at me; his beetlenut loaded cheeks bursting at the sides.? What an image!

We took a break.? While he lovingly stirred the pot, I wandered around his immaculate kitchen.? Everything was in its place..just so.

Raj stretched his arms, oh he was on again; ready for the final steps.? He added the last masala (spices)mix- tumeric, coriander seeds, bay leaves, methi leaves and fresh coriander.? He noted that the curry would have to cook for a few hours to ensure that these dry spices came out in full effect.

The curry was quickly creeping up the sides of the pot.? Although, I noticed that it needed more liquid. Sure enough he turned and came back with more water, milk and salt and chillis.

He offered me the spoon.? "Here stir for about 10 minutes Hope.? Do not stop.? We must cook for a few hours and then when the oil rises to the surface it is ready."? With that he stepped back, the young Nepalese bread maker motioned to remove his apron (like a prize fighter..!!) and he was finished for the day.

What a curry.? I tasted it an hour later, then two hours after that.? Oh, it was rich, but sweet and spicy.? Raj and his boys would be adding this to fish, chicken, mutton curries- sauce bases and side dishes for all of the tourists that flock to his eating hole.

If anyone goes to Arambol- N. Goa make sure to visit Raj.? His restaurant is called Sai Sagar.? The food is out of this world, he offers movies and music, travel advice and if you hang around long enough he will slip you some of his special whisky and tell you some of the local gossip!!!

I was hot, full and feeling the effects of his whisky.

It was time to retire to my deluxe accomodation!!!!

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
I'm not sure. The 'cous cous' is mentioned twice, once where it is used as a thickener in the white paste and once where it's added with the garlic and ginger. I must admit it did strike me as odd to use what is essentially pasta in a curry, but it would act as a thickener. I do think you've got a point though where the cous cous is added with the garlic/ginger it would make more sense if it was khus khus instead. Well spotted.

That said, I've tried poppy seeds in the past but wasn't struck by any real benefit so never used them again.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
I've e-mailed Hope and asked her to join the forum and fill in the blanks. I really hope (no pun intended) she replies, first hand accounts are better than the usual conjecture we plough through.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Heh, cool idea yellow fingers, didnt think of that

©2024 Curry Recipes