Author Topic: CA's Chicken Ceylon  (Read 105816 times)

littlechilie

Re: CA's Chicken Ceylon
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2014, 11:52 PM »
Thanks for update  George, that's another one I shan't be trying!

Hey Garp, whoever said korma was a woman's curry hey? http://www.womensfitness.co.uk/healthy-eating/561/healthy-chicken-korma  ;D

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2014, 01:18 AM »
I suppose it's Ok to have a dish called Chicken Ceylon, but the country hasn't been British Ceylon for nearly half a century.

Chicken Sri Lanka just doesn't do it but Chicken Colombo is a good name for a dish.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32 AM »

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2014, 08:33 AM »

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35 AM »
I've tried a few of CA's recipes over the years and most are not that special, they are ok for beginners though

And another one bites the dust... I tried CA's recipe for Chicken Ceylon this evening, partly because several members said they followed the recipe as written and they liked it. Well, I followed the recipe as written and thought it was almost tasteless. I would guess it's because this recipe starts with raw chicken. How many BIRs do you know who start a dish with raw chicken? None that I'm aware of, which probably means this recipe should not be in the BIR section. Should the thread be moved?

It should be in the 'Talk About Anything Except Curry' section.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2014, 09:20 AM »
I suppose it's Ok to have a dish called Chicken Ceylon, but the country hasn't been British Ceylon for nearly half a century.

OK, so in your idiolect you eat Beijing duck and Mumbai duck and liken places to the dark hole of Kolkotta ?!  Slightly more seriously, "Sinhalese chicken" would work for me ...

** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2014, 09:38 AM »
Mmmm... Tamil Tikka!! :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Forgive me if I beg to differ with the negative opinions, but I would recommend most of CA's recipes, including the Chicken Ceylon - a dish that my family really enjoys. Its flexible and, for me, benefits from a little less sugar and a little more chilli.

I don't use raw chicken, but rather chicken tikka which lifts the dish.

I had little time for the man towards the end of his membership here, but his curries were good IMHO.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2015, 08:55 AM »
This has become a regular dish for me and my good lady wife - in fact, I made it last Friday and it was delicious as usual. I think one of the good things about this curry is that it's easy to adjust the chilli level without fundamentally changing the nature of the dish.

I know there was talk recently about "hot korma", but, while I like the odd korma, it wouldn't seem 'right' to me to add heat to the dish. IMO anyway!

I have amended the original recipe slightly since I first made it. I use chicken tikka rather than raw chicken, I don't use spiced oil, just plain vegetable oil and only 3 tbsp instead of 5 tbsp. And I only add 1 tsp of brown sugar as I found 3 tsp to be far too sweet, even at higher chilli heat levels.

If you haven't made this yet, you're missing out on a really light and tasty curry. Give it a go! :)

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2015, 05:17 PM »
I have just made this with chicken tikka but the texture is off for me. I used coconut flour which I think must be a no-no as it's a bit grainy. Lesson learned :/

©2024 Curry Recipes