Author Topic: Curry Guzzler Base Sauce  (Read 5179 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Curry Guzzler Base Sauce
« on: August 10, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Just been hunting round the net and come across a site with a base sauce recipe. Have a look using the link below. I am just on with a batch from The Balti Kitchen Video ( not the one below ) so will post the results soon

Regards

Ray

http://www.geocities.com/curryguzzler2002/html/overview.html

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Guzzler Base Sauce
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 03:47 PM »
And here is the recipe for you:-

The Curry Sauce.

This is the basis for nearly all Indian restaurant curries and most restaurants will have a huge pot of curry sauce simmering away. It forms the body of all the curry sauces to which is added the additional spices, chilli, meat and vegetables to create the finished dish. Curry sauce is exceptionally easy to make and if you wish you can make up more than you need and either freeze it in portions or keep it refrigerated for up to 5 days.

2lb/900g Large Onions sliced into thick chunks

1 Large tin Chopped tomatoes (400g)

1 Tablespoon Tomato Puree

10 Cloves of garlic, crushed

4" piece of root ginger, skin removed

1 Teaspoon curry powder

1 Teaspoon garam massalla

1 Tablespoon Turmeric

Juice of 1 whole lemon

3 Pints water

1 Teaspoon salt

10 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Bring the water to boil in a large saucepan with the salt. Add the sliced onions ,garlic and ginger into the pan and bring back to the boil. When it has boiled, reduce the heat to allow the contents to simmer, cover and leave for 30 minutes. Meanwhile mix the curry powder, garam massalla, Turmeric with the lemon juice and tomato puree to create a thick paste (add a little water if necessary). Pour the tinned tomatoes into a food processor and puree for 3 minutes to a smooth sauce. Empty into a container and wash and dry the food processor.

When the onions have simmered for 30 minutes drain off the liquid using a sieve into a container for use later. Place the remaining onions, garlic and ginger mixture into a food processor and puree for 2 minutes (You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of the food processor). Wash and dry the pan that the onions were cooked in and put in the oil and bring up to a medium high heat. Once the oil is hot stir fry the thick paste for 1 minute and then add the pureed tomatoes and bring to the boil. Once boiling add the pureed onions and mix the contents well together. Bring back to the boil and then simmer on low for 30 minutes skimming off any froth on the surface every couple of minutes. You can now use the curry sauce immediately or freeze or refrigerate it.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 09:24 PM »
Juice of 1 whole lemon
Never seen that before in a base, interesting

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 06:10 PM »
hi mark j

bruce edwards base uses 1/4 of a whole lemon. i know i keep harping on about this guys work but i have had fabulous results using his recipes, having made a chikcken tikka korma for a friend( although i think it may better with just precooked chicken). many vindaloos and even a chicken chilli masala. bomby potato and mushroom bhaji also have been successful. sorry Darth i haven't tied doing a phall with this base yet! ;) but you could try chicken chilli masala adding dried ground birds eye chillies which i think a certain bitterness to the dish.yummy....! after eating a set meal for one from my local "Rajver" ( another good sauce to try and it seems so quick to make) i have a pot in my refridgerator will be making my wife and my self both vindaloos( well sharing on large one as i have found to my cost burning spices trying to be clever using two separate pans cooking two vinadloos does not work, my wife got the 1st it turned out perfectly & mine crap in comparison ;D i have also had splendid results using raw chicken adding at the simmering stage and adding a little more sauce to allow for evaporation.

anyway guys and girls happy curry night :)

regards
gary

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 06:48 PM »
The guy is a star, no doubt about it. Ive had good results with Bruce's recipes

©2024 Curry Recipes