Author Topic: biryani  (Read 20674 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
biryani
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:53 AM »
this started out with the expert village video (some of the links don't work anymore on the expert village site so only give part of the picture - real pity). http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2688.0

i thought this recipe sounded pretty much as i could imagine it being done in a BIR ie the chef is giving pretty much the full story.

Gordon Ramsey's TV show convinced me that i needed to give it a go http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4367.0

this recipe is a bit of a combination of the 2 off recipes.

i made this once and was such  a hit with the family that in offering a night out to try out the mogul in whitefield they've plumbed for the home biryani again.

i'll add refinements to this post over time but this is the recipe at the mo.

the only thing to add is if using cucumber - u need to remove the soft centre as u don't want to add that part (cut the cucumber along the length in qtrs and then top slice the soft centre bit off).

in simple terms u make some rice, some posh bhuna and then combine them in a pot to finish cook. biryani on it's own is quite a dry dish so u need to serve with plenty of curry sauce and for me a side of banana fritters.

serves 3, to convert to 4 just make more rice

Marinade Chicken (up to u, at least 3 hrs)

1) 500g breast cubed in large bowl
2) add yogurt 3 tbsp, turmeric 1 tsp, chilli powder 0.5 tsp, garam masala 1 tsp, salt 0.5 tsp, white pepper 0.25 tsp
3) add garlic: ginger, 1 tsp: 1 tbsp, either individually or from paste

Rice

1) soak 300g basmati in water for 30 mins
2) bring pan of water to boil
3) decant water off rice
4) add rice to boiling water, cook for 6 mins (test while cooking - needs to be almost cooked but still hard)
5) drain

Fry Chicken ("bhuna")

1) gather whole spice in bowl
cinnamon - 1 off stick broken in half
cumin seed - 3 finger & thumb pinch
bay leaf - 3 off
black pepper - 8 off
star anis - 1 off
cardamom - 6 off

2) fine chop 2 off medium onion
3) heat 5 tbsp oil in wok till hot
4) add whole spice until aroma given off (15 secs max)
5) add onion and fry till starting to brown
6) add 2 off toms cubed and cook 2 to 3 mins
7) add chicken marinade and fry to dry out slightly "bhuna" consistency
8 ) add fresh coriander

Assemble Dish

1) add pinch saffron to 6 tbsp warm milk or use turmeric
2) in clean pot spread out half the chicken mixture and cover with half the rice
3) repeat layering with rest of chicken and rice
4) optional - mix into the rice some chopped blanched almond
5) pour over the milk
6) use damp tea towel to seal lid onto pot
7) cook on hob (low) or in oven (180C) until warmed through ~ typ 40 mins
8 ) optional - mix into the rice some coconut flour and cucumber just before serving

Banana Fritter

1) make thick batter (slow dropping consistency)
2) typ 150g plain flour, 0.25 tsp salt, 75-100ml water adding gradually
3) peel & slice banana's lengthways
4) coat with batter and shallow fry in hot oil

Serve with plain curry sauce

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: biryani
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:05 PM »
This biryani is very much along traditional lines Jerry and definitely not BIR style. And those banana fritters, where on earth did they come from? They're definitely not BIR and would never be served with biryani.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 10:35 PM »
This biryani is very much along traditional lines Jerry and definitely not BIR style. And those banana fritters, where on earth did they come from? They're definitely not BIR and would never be served with biryani.

I agree. I shall definitely be trying the Ramsay original recipe and maybe Jerry's version in due course but these are all traditional recipes and most certainly under the wrong section of the forum. I'm interested to hear that banana fritters are served in Jerry's neck of the woodsl. I've enjoyed BIR biryani's in many parts of the UK and have never ever had a biryani served with any kind of banana!

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:23 AM »
The very first Indian I had was a biriani back in about '73/'74 at the Asha in Bold Street in Liverpool, it was served garnished with an omelette and a banana fritter. Went back for the first time in over 30 years just a couple of years ago and ordered a biriani, for old times sake, it was still served with the omelette but sadly no fritter.

Sadly, it seems that shortly after my last visit, it wasn't just the fritter that disappeared but the Asha went the same way. CLICK HERE.

Regards
CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:27 PM »
CoR,

it's amazing - i too used to know bold street quite well - went to a club regular at the top which had a real sticky carpet. the amazing thing being that i missed out on the Asha - the nearest i got was a greek place.

of course it's all very different their now.

not just a brummi thing then the banana fritter.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Secret Santa,

i'm not stuck in rut on this recipe - please tell more - how could i make it more BIR - i'm real eager.

i'm making again tomorrow so no pressure.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 03:26 PM »
i made this for a 2nd time this week. couple of observations:

1) Batter recipe - naff. i ended up using 50g of flour to 100ml of water which produced a normal batter consistency - the idea of a, "slow dropping consistency" just does not work. i shallow fried but feel deep fry is the only way to go.

2) Timing for Removal of Whole Spice - last time i took the whole spice out of the fried chicken as i assembled the dish. this is the best time to do it. i left it in on the 2nd go and the customers did not like having to fish them out during eating.

3) Chicken Marinade - i tried some mustard oil, deggi mirch and lemon dressing and halved the salt. the salt was much better. the rest made no difference but the marinade probably needs more than the 3hrs that i used.

4) Whole spice - i added in some fennel (same amount as the cumin) and felt this added a nice touch (better depth of flavour).

5) Rice Cooking - i only boiled for for 3 mins c/w 6 mins last time - u need to keep a check on the rice as the time seems to vary considerably with different rice and probably how much it's boiling when u set the timer.

other than that everthing was as the 1st go spec - result on the 2nd go was just as impressive.

ps i've now got some whole almond nut which i intend to rough grind and add at assembly on the next go. they taste brill on their own.

Offline millsoni

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Although not a BIR style biryani, the end result of preparing this biryani is fantastic.  Depth of flavour, heat, tender rice and falling off the bone chicken.  No bananas in sight fortunately!  And the chef is great too.

Follow the video for the method and correct ingredients, not the written instructions.

http://vahrehvah.com/popvideo.php?recipe_id=3144

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 07:52 AM »
millsoni,

this video is real good and gels very well with my experience so far.

i could not pick out when the lime juice is added but will give it a try adding to the chicken marinade.

the idea of adding mint into the marinade sounds good too and will try out. i already add coriander but at the end of cooking the marinade but before assembly. will try adding it earlier.

i'm not sold on the pre fried onion and effectively not pre frying the chicken mixture (the bhuna).

the bit on the rice is spot on too (30 min soak & drain). i'd not thought of adding some salt to the water and will try out.

the video is a real good starting point and better in many ways than the expert village equivalent although i do feel u need to watch both before making this dish.

many thanks millsoni for posting - it's essential we get a broader understanding to enable fine tuning.

Offline millsoni

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Jerry

I will take a look at the other video, thanks for the suggestion.

I added the lime juice with the marinade, and the mint really makes a difference and was commented on by my guniea pig tasters as adding something special.  The fried onions do work well, if not expected, bringing sweetness to the bhuna.

If you try this and can suggest improvements I would  be very interested.

©2024 Curry Recipes