Author Topic: IG Spice Mix  (Read 8504 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
IG Spice Mix
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Before I start can I just say a big thank you to the Indian Garden in Burgess Hill, for the following Spice Mix. The restaurant is a traditional Old School BIR run by two very friendly brothers from Bangladesh who have been in the same restaurant for over 35 years.

Indian Garden Spice Mix

2 Spoon   - Turmeric
1 Heaped - Med Curry Powder
1 Spoon   - Cumin
1 Spoon   - Corriander
1 Spoon   - Paprika

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:48 AM by Axe »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: IG Spice Mix
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 12:07 AM »
Axe,

Just been comparing this to the Dipurajas, and they're very similar, the difference being that the Dipuraja add garam masala, which will no doubt, change the flavour somewhat?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, maybe it's worth giving the old Dipster a fair crack of the whip afterall?

Ray

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:55 AM »
i've got both mixes made. i've tried the IG and well impressed. thought the balance of spice very good.

i don't have base at the mo to try a side by side with Dipuraja's (as per Razor's observations)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Of course its all open to interpretation but for me, the IG is affording me the secrets (which they still maintain are not secrets) of the food I wish to cook. Their food being the standard by which I judge all others.

Any differences in procedure and ingredients will prevent me from reaching the goal. So the IG mix is now the only mix I will use. That doesn't mean that other spice mixes are not as good, but using a different mix will not enable me to replicate the IG dishes.

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 06:26 AM »
This is beginning to frustrate me! OK a spice mix is a curry powder with a boost, but the curry powder itself needs explaining - why? Why can't it be made at home. Why buy one when everything is in the cupboard?

Always always home dry roasted and ground spices are better, why resort to curry powder all the time? Or Garam Masala for that matter??

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:42 AM »
Hi
I'm sure a curry powder can be made at home, however as most people are trying to reproduce the restaurant/takeaway taste and such places use bought in curry powder and spices- I guess you have the answer.
Matt

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Michael, when the recipe was explained to me, 'curry powder' was the term they used for this ingredient. He said it was a medium curry powder but I actually use mild from Schwartz. He said any good one would do.

At the time, I took him at his word and just assumed that they bought this in. I didn't think to ask if it was made or purchased. My guess is that they buy it in but I will endeavour to find out.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Theres a link here that akes you to a table of contents for lots of different curry powder and garammasala recipes.
http://www.indiacurry.com/spice/index.htm

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 10:48 PM »
I make my own curry masala all the time, the problem with the IG spice mix is that the curry powder used is not specified - change the powder, and the mix will of itself change.

Offline bobpilot99

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 02:17 AM »
HI Axe, can you find out which brand and type of curry powder they use in their mix from the Indian Garden ??

Bob  ::)

©2024 Curry Recipes