Author Topic: CA's Chicken Bhoona  (Read 42926 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Bhoona
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2011, 08:36 AM »
Another option is to cook the curries, without the onions, capsicums and tomatoes, and keep these warm in the oven (or subsequently reheat them on the stove, in the oven, or in a microwave).

Then, when you're about ready to eat, cook the onions, capsicums and tomatoes (e.g. stir fry in a hot wok, or other suitable pan - perhaps with a little garlic, ginger, spice mix and tomato puree) and add them to the curries, just before serving.  "Tarka" like? :P

That's a good idea CA, Might give that a try. A question if i may, have you made any changes to your base and spice mix since you posted them in 2009? and do you still use your own base/spice mix when making curry's?
Cheers
HS

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Hi HS,

In the meantime, I have tried quite a few different bases (from others - such as Chewy's, Ray's, Taz's, Undercover Curry, etc).  I have also tried quite a few iterations of my own base recipe posted on the forum (e.g. adding garam masala, whole spices, frying the spices beforehand, using whole onions, adding chicken carcasses, etc).  The one thing I haven't explored fully enough, though, is using spiced oil in the base.  I really must crack on and do this.

I am currently using my seventh (or more) iteration, since posting the one on the forum, but the current one is not dramatically different from the one I posted (e.g. it has a higher percentage of onions, more garlic, more oil, some whole spices, etc).

Other than that, I'm currently "going back to basics" with a much simpler spice mix and curry base (primarily for milder curries such as korma, tikka masala, etc).

Otherwise, yes, I still use my own spice mix (I've also tried quite a few others) and my own base recipe when making my curries.  So far, to me, most decent curry base recipes on this forum are much of a muchness (and, for me, still don't quite hack it - BIR wise).

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2011, 08:45 AM »
Hi unclefrank

Thanks for the recommendation of CA's Jalfreizi.  If it's anything like his Bhoona, it'll become a firm favourite here!!
all the best
al

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Hi HS,

In the meantime, I have tried quite a few different bases (from others - such as Chewy's, Ray's, Taz's, Undercover Curry, etc).  I have also tried quite a few iterations of my own base recipe posted on the forum (e.g. adding garam masala, whole spices, frying the spices beforehand, using whole onions, adding chicken carcasses, etc).  The one thing I haven't explored fully enough, though, is using spiced oil in the base.  I really must crack on and do this.

I am currently using my seventh (or more) iteration, since posting the one on the forum, but the current one is not dramatically different from the one I posted (e.g. it has a higher percentage of onions, more garlic, more oil, some whole spices, etc).

Other than that, I'm currently "going back to basics" with a much simpler spice mix and curry base (primarily for milder curries such as korma, tikka masala, etc).

Otherwise, yes, I still use my own spice mix (I've also tried quite a few others) and my own base recipe when making my curries.  So far, to me, most decent curry base recipes on this forum are much of a muchness (and, for me, still don't quite hack it - BIR wise).

Thank's CA,
I will use everything as per recipes then,

HS

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2011, 09:52 AM »
Hi CA
Just to let you know that your chicken bhoona went down a storm last night, I think I can say that it is the best curry that I've made to date, So until someone comes up with a base recipe from the 60s/70s, (My Ultimate Goal) this is the one I will use until then, It's almost what I'm looking for, and to my taste, So thanks for the recipes, I would recommend to those who have not tried CAs recipes to give them a go.
Happy Day's ;D

HS

Offline thumpinfrance

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2011, 02:27 PM »
Hi Cory
cooked your bhuna last wednesday using your base and your recipe, tasted great and your pilau rice recipe that was great, will work my way thru the rest of your recipes.

regards Gary

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 05:00 AM »
WOW. I am sat enjoying this chicken bhuna right now . ;D

I made up a batch of CA's base sauce this morning and couldn't resist having a sneaky curry for lunch before the rest of the sauce gets frozen.

Apart from trips back to UK, this the THE BEST curry I have tasted since we emigrated in 1996. And believe me I have spent $1,000's in restaurants looking for a decent curry

THANK YOU!!!

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2012, 09:02 AM »
I really have to give credit where it's due.

I've cooked this recipe at least 10 times in the last few weeks. This recipe inspired me to do more. Everyone that has tried it loves it. You simply cannot buy a curry as good as this in Perth.

THANKS CA!!  :)

Offline wheresmyhead

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2015, 08:39 PM »
Good curry recipe, made it coz my Mrs has just discovered Bhuna and it's her new favourite!

Thanks CA, just cooking another one as I write this  ;D

Offline Mickstorey

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 01:41 PM »

Banging Curry CA done this a few times regards mick

©2024 Curry Recipes