Author Topic: dansak (very close to bir)  (Read 4964 times)

Offline mmmcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
dansak (very close to bir)
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:19 PM »
This recipe is a combination of loads of different ideas on making a BIR dansak, it doesn't use the cr0 cooking style, in that it doesn't require a base sauce to be made, but after its all prepped takes about 15 mins to cook. (assuming you have made a batch of tarka dall mentioned below). I feel it came very closed to a BIR dansak, and was done without the usual method. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

6 chicken breasts
6 heaped tbsp tarka dall as per blades recipe - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=320.0  (maybe use more,
I am going to try this next time and shall post results, there wasn't enough dall in the final dish imo)
2in (5cm) square piece of fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves
2 large onions, chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
small amount coriander (optional - to taste/garnish at end if you wish)

1tsp mint (dried like you find in supermarket herb pots - its strong so may want to use more if using fresh leaves)
Salt
1/2 cup oil (120ml - didn't make the final dish oily, all the powdered spices dissapeared into the hot oil)

Parsee sambar masala - 1 teaspoon fenugreek powder/crushed seeds, 1 teaspoon mustard (squeezy bottle kind), 1 teaspoon red chili powder and 1
teaspoon ground pepper

dhansak masala - 1 teaspoon garam masala and 1 piece of cinnamon (or 1 teaspoon star anise powder, but i didn't have)
and 1 teaspoon nutmeg powder

1 teaspoon cumin powder
3 teaspoons coriander powder
3 tbs tomato paste
3 green chillies, chopped +deseeded (was fairly hot, but obviously use more if you like your dansak really spicy)

Sweet/sour mix - can use whatever you like here, im going to be experimenting with this one vs amount of dall used,
i found it to be a little too sweet, could have been the pineapple chunks/juice adding to that though, so add to taste)

2tsp sugar
2tsp lemon juice
pineapple chunks (optional)
pineapple juice (about 2-3 tbsp or to taste)

Method

1. Boil chopped onions in tumeric poweder - about 15 mins (you could probly blend these somehow if you wish, but i didnt
as i dont own a blender)

2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry
the chopped ginger, garlic, coriander leaves (if using), mint, sambar masala, dhansak masala, cumin and coriander powders,
tomatoes and green chillies and fry for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.

3. Add the chicken and seal for 2 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and
stir well.

4. Add the dal and the drained onions to the chicken. Simmer until the chicken
is cooked through

5. Add the sugar/lemon/pineapple and simmer for 2 mins then serve.

Would be good to hear back if anyone tries it, I made it today and my whole family was very pleased with the results, so thought id share my recipie with you fellow curry heads! As mentioned above you may want to add slightly more of the dall, and also i cannot say what it would taste like if using plain dall, i feel that gives it quite a bit of its kick and dansak flavour, also i would add the sugar/lemon etc slowly, i was just following the recipie and added 2tsp of each and a load of pineapple, and it came out a little sweet. I am going to be experimenting with this in the future, and if any improvements are made i will keep you updated.
Happy cooking!

©2024 Curry Recipes