Welcome, guest! Please login or register.

Author Topic: JB's chicken madras  (Read 7264 times)

Offline Smartsavage

• Trainee Chef
Re: JB's chicken madras
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 09:16 AM »
Total novice here asking what I guess maybe a silly question but what are the quantities of coriander and methi?
(As taught on my recent cookery lessons)

Ingredients
---------------

pre cooked chicken(http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4972.0)
2 ladles of Base sauce(http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4909.0)
1 tablespoon Mix Powder(http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4908.0)
1 ladle of spiced oil
1 tablespoon garlic/ginger paste
1 teaspoon chili powder
Coriander
lemon juice
dried methi leaves
pinch of salt

Heat pan on a medium heat and add the oil and ginger/garlic paste.Stir around briefly and then add the mix powder,chili,salt and methi leaves.Also add at this stage 1/2 ladle of base sauce to stop it burning.Cook this for a couple of minutes.Then add the chicken and the rest of the base sauce.Leave until the chicken is cooked through,add the lemon juice and finish with coriander.

The chef told me a basic chicken curry is exactly the same recipe minus the lemon and chili powder.Nothing more....I was surprised at this but he was quite adamant that only these two ingredients are added for a madras.Furthermore a vindaloo is the same apart from more chili and some pre cooked potato.He seemed to think it was quite amusing that I thought there should be some secret ingredient to go from a basic curry to a madras!!! By the way I used fresh lemon but in his restaurant he uses a bottled lemon dressing.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • A closed mind is a would-be chef's worse enemy.
    • Poems for Charity
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Total novice here asking what I guess maybe a silly question but what are the quantities of coriander and methi?

Not a silly question at all, SS.  Both are "to taste" but I would personally think in terms of maybe 1 teaspoon methi (leaves, not ground) and rather more coriander.  With the former, rub between the fingers when adding (the leaves will almost certainly be dried); with the latter, cut the stalks into fine rings and add to the sauce, cut the leaves coarsely and use to garnish the final dish.

** Phil.
Allergy warning :  the content of this message may annoy the anally-retentive and those with tunnel vision

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 12:22 PM »
Thanks jb, will be giving this a try later. Just a little clarification: would fenugreek be a large pinch? And a ladle is..150mls?
Does that sound right?
Cheers

Offline masalanoob

• Trainee Chef
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 05:34 PM »
I am a complete novice, hence the name 'masalanoob'. JB, I really like your curry base recipe and I really want to make this madras, however... I have some very stupid questions and I hope that someone will care to answer them before I give myself food poisoning.

1) when you say 'pre-cooked chicken'.. do you mean cooked chicken (referring to the link beside it)?

2) Do you partially cook the chicken and then store it for a time? if so, how long?

Can you just tell me everything in 'cave man' style so I can't get it wrong lol sorry

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • "My work here is done."
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 05:49 PM »
The chicken is fully cooked mate, although not over cooked. There's a couple of different techniques for it.

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: