Author Topic: JB's chicken madras  (Read 20354 times)

Offline Smartsavage

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: JB's chicken madras
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 09:16 AM »
Total novice here asking what I guess maybe a silly question but what are the quantities of coriander and methi?
(As taught on my recent cookery lessons)

Ingredients
---------------

pre cooked chicken(http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4972.0)
2 ladles of Base sauce(http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4909.0)
1 tablespoon Mix Powder(http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4908.0)
1 ladle of spiced oil
1 tablespoon garlic/ginger paste
1 teaspoon chili powder
Coriander
lemon juice
dried methi leaves
pinch of salt

Heat pan on a medium heat and add the oil and ginger/garlic paste.Stir around briefly and then add the mix powder,chili,salt and methi leaves.Also add at this stage 1/2 ladle of base sauce to stop it burning.Cook this for a couple of minutes.Then add the chicken and the rest of the base sauce.Leave until the chicken is cooked through,add the lemon juice and finish with coriander.

The chef told me a basic chicken curry is exactly the same recipe minus the lemon and chili powder.Nothing more....I was surprised at this but he was quite adamant that only these two ingredients are added for a madras.Furthermore a vindaloo is the same apart from more chili and some pre cooked potato.He seemed to think it was quite amusing that I thought there should be some secret ingredient to go from a basic curry to a madras!!! By the way I used fresh lemon but in his restaurant he uses a bottled lemon dressing.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Total novice here asking what I guess maybe a silly question but what are the quantities of coriander and methi?

Not a silly question at all, SS.  Both are "to taste" but I would personally think in terms of maybe 1 teaspoon methi (leaves, not ground) and rather more coriander.  With the former, rub between the fingers when adding (the leaves will almost certainly be dried); with the latter, cut the stalks into fine rings and add to the sauce, cut the leaves coarsely and use to garnish the final dish.

** Phil.

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 12:22 PM »
Thanks jb, will be giving this a try later. Just a little clarification: would fenugreek be a large pinch? And a ladle is..150mls?
Does that sound right?
Cheers

Offline masalanoob

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 05:34 PM »
I am a complete novice, hence the name 'masalanoob'. JB, I really like your curry base recipe and I really want to make this madras, however... I have some very stupid questions and I hope that someone will care to answer them before I give myself food poisoning.

1) when you say 'pre-cooked chicken'.. do you mean cooked chicken (referring to the link beside it)?

2) Do you partially cook the chicken and then store it for a time? if so, how long?

Can you just tell me everything in 'cave man' style so I can't get it wrong lol sorry

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 05:49 PM »
The chicken is fully cooked mate, although not over cooked. There's a couple of different techniques for it.

Offline Gaddman1

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Brand new member here. Just made Admin base sauce and going to try JB madras. Looking foward to it. Base sauce tastes real good

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Welcome aboard, Gaddman.  Looking forward to your report of how your Madras turned out, with a picture of same if possible.
** Phil.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 11:44 AM »
976bar,

i too would like to use this recipe as a control to compare tom puree - i'm thinking 1/2 tsp max for curry main dishes ie chicken madras.

i do kind of feel i've already tried this recipe "ingredients" over time but the leaving out of tom puree alltogether is not something i've tried. for plain curry sauce i remain an out and out user of Secret Santa's chilli sauce - this for me works really well c/w to BIR yet effectively contains quite a lot of tom puree in each portion.

the use and amount of tom puree must therefore be dish related as opposed to a std amount in all (which is what i've done in the past ie 1 tsp in all).

Jerry can you put a link up for secret Santa

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 08:38 AM »
You might be waiting a while for Jerry to answer. I would've thought it's this recipe:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4076.msg36918#msg36918

That's an interesting thread worth reading.  Up until the point where it turned into a massive bunfight of course...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:53 AM by Sverige »

Offline stan b

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 03:39 PM »
I'm having this tonight!

©2024 Curry Recipes