Author Topic: Just made B Edwards Base - Now which curry?  (Read 8678 times)

Offline chilli chopper

• Chef
    • View Profile
Just made B Edwards Base - Now which curry?
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Hey all,

Last night I made the Bruce Edwards curry base - the updated one he listed here on these forums without celery and radish etc.

I want to make a curry with it either tonight or tomorrow so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a particular recipe?

I'm tempted just to make something up myself, but I thought I'd ask here first.

I'm not into massala (creamy dishes) so just chicken curry/madras style ones I'd like to try first.

Thanks  :)

I was going to video myself making the base but I forgot. Perhaps i'll do that next time

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Just made B Edwards Base - Now which curry?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Hi CC

As you've made Bruce's base you could do a lot worse than making his basic curry too which will be madras like:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2815.0

Offline chilli chopper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Hi,

Looking at that recipe, it only uses 1tsp of the spice mix and a pinch of fenugreek. I wonder if that will change the taste of the base sauce much?

I tried the sauce this morning after blending it and although OK, wouldn't be that nice if that was the main flavour of the curry.

Still I'll probably give it a go but add some garlic too since I love garlic flavour and some green chilli.

I'm not sure if will be of any interest to anyone but I could film it and upload to youtube for comments.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 01:31 PM »
...snip...
I'm not sure if will be of any interest to anyone but I could film it and upload to youtube for comments.

Hi

Go for it! why not.

Regards

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Still I'll probably give it a go but add some garlic too since I love garlic flavour and some green chilli.

Yes I think some garlic/ginger paste (couple of teaspoons) would do nicely, I didn't notice that missing in his recipe.

Fresh chilli, well I wouldn't use it in a madras but if that's what you're used to then why not.

I really wouldn't be tempted on your first try to overdo the spices, use the quantities suggested.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 02:53 PM »
chilli chopper,

sounds as if your having a real good time using the site - well pleased for you.

YES - for sure do the video - it's an opportunity for us all to learn and help you at the same time.

BE's madras is a good starting point - the important thing is to learn the basics and then start to run so to speak.

ps it's quite amazing this madras for me personally as when i 1st tied it i thought the spices were too low. i've now come full circle adding in the rest of the jigsaw and changed my mind - Bruce i think actually encourages us to sort of do this in his post. 

Offline chilli chopper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 04:31 PM »
OK I'll ask the mrs to wield the camera in the kitchen for me!

I pre-cook the chicken the way Bruce Edwards suggests, and I'll follow perhaps one of his basic recipes then. I'll make a fairly small curry so I have enough chicken left to make another with different ingredients.

I did make a curry from the original 'Curry Secret' book by Kris Dhillon but it was disappointing. I have higher hopes for this!

I'm not a stranger to curry cooking, but only in the traditional style, so this will be fun at least, even if it all goes to pot

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 04:55 PM »
I did make a curry from the original 'Curry Secret' book by Kris Dhillon but it was disappointing.

Interesting,  I am just re-trying Kris Dhillon's recipes and methodology today.  After slowly but surely moving towards a more individual style,  I now feel the need to go right back to my roots to remind myself where I started.  The stage-1 sauce is just cooling now (one change : I used red onions), and I will try to take some photographs at subsequent stages (when the steam has cleared !).  One thing that I know in advance I will do is to double the quantity of sauce per unit of meat, and double the quantity of spices per unit of sauce : in my early days, these two modifications made a considerable improvement to the quality of the final dish.

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Not sure if this is any use to you but it's a BE based recipe that I developed myself.

Final Recipe - Chicken Pathia, Version 1d, 27 July 2010

Ingredients:

oil, 1 fl. oz.
thinly sliced onion or pepper, a few slivers
tomato puree, 1 1/2 level tbsp., mixed with 2 tbsp water
BE spice mixture, 1 tbsp.
1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of mango chutney
2 tbsp of lemon juice
10 fl. oz. (approx 300 ml metric) BE curry base gravy
fresh tomato, a few quarters (5 or 6?)
fresh coriander, to garnish

Method:

heat the oil in a pan, add the onion/pepper mix, and fry up for about a minute
add the tomato paste, mix powder, salt, chilli powder and fenugreek, stir in well and fry up for about 30 seconds
add half the base gravy and stir in well
add the sugar and mango chutney and stir in
add the lemon juice and stir
add the pre-cooked chicken and stir in
cook and occasionally stir for about 1 1/2 minutes then add in the tomato quarters
stir in the rest of the base gravy and let cook until the sauce has reduced to the right thickness
garnish with fresh coriander

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 07:47 PM »
Interesting,  I am just re-trying Kris Dhillon's recipes and methodology today.

You'll find that if you replace the garam masala with an equal quantity of a curry powder (Rajah etc.) in any of the curries that use it they come out much better.

©2024 Curry Recipes