Author Topic: Index of Panpot's Ashoka Recipes  (Read 190588 times)

Offline Roswell

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Index of Panpot's Ashoka Recipes
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum and made up all of the Ashoka kit this week :)

I made a lamb bhuna and chicken korma last night. The lamb bhuna was excellent....the precooked lamb just fell apart and was so tender!

I wasn't so impressed with using just the Ashoka base with some cream and cocnut cream as the final result was just too runny. I'm going to have to work on my Kormas or look at different recipes on the forum.

Personally, I feel that  the Ashoka base and bunjara are a little heavy on the salt so will probably adjust this when making up future batches.

Anyway, good stuff overall!

Panpot, are there any signs of you getting more recipes for the Ashoka base?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Roswell the salt content was something that was discussed when PanPot first posted the Ashoka recipes. I reduced the salt content by half (the cumin content also). As regards the Korma if you want it less runny you could just reduce the base a bit?

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 01:33 PM »
Hi Roswell and welcome.

Try cooking your Korma for longer so it reduces to the right consistency.

I find that when I cook Butter Chicken I seem to have to cook it for much longer, than non creamy curries, to get it to thicken up.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 02:10 PM »

I wasn't so impressed with using just the Ashoka base with some cream and cocnut cream as the final result was just too runny. I'm going to have to work on my Kormas or look at different recipes on the forum.

Personally, I feel that  the Ashoka base and bunjara are a little heavy on the salt so will probably adjust this when making up future batches.

Anyway, good stuff overall!

Panpot, are there any signs of you getting more recipes for the Ashoka base?

I know I got the Korma from this site, but for the life of me, I cannot remember who produced this. However, my daughter who is a Korma fanatic, will not buy a Korma from a restaurant anymore as she says, they do not have the flavour that this dish produces. My apologies to the one that produced the recipe for this, but I cannot remember who it was.....

But enjoy, it's lovely!! :)

Serves 1-2
Ingredients:
300g skinless chicken breast (chopped into approximately 1 inch cubes)
60 ml veg oil
1tsp fresh garlic (pureed)
1 tsp turmeric powder
200ml curry base
6 tbsp coconut milk powder (both Cocomi and Nestle produce this)
2 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
0.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
100ml fresh single cream
milk (as required)
2tbsp almond meal (or cashew meal)
fresh chopped coriander - optional

Method:
Stir the coconut milk powder (and almond meal or cashew meal, if using), into the cream, to make a lump-free paste.
Heat the curry base to a gentle simmer
Heat the oil in a suitable pan on a low heat
Add the chicken and fry, for a couple of minutes, on high heat, with continuous stirring, until sealed (i.e. just white on the outside).
Add the garlic and turmeric and fry, for a minute or so, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
Add a ladle of curry base and stir
Continue to add the curry base, a little at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens.
Add the coconut milk mixture and stir in, cook for a few minutes until the chicken is cooked and serve :)

Offline Roswell

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 06:20 PM »
Thanks all for the info and cheers for the korma recipe 976bar, I'll give that a bash :)

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Hi new to this..i was given this recipe for the base sauce from a Glasgow takeaway..i've always noticed Glasgow curries are more of an onion texture and they don't use water in there base... here is is the recipe there are 11 pound of onions in it maybe that's why it doesn't need water let me know what you think..i've always thought adding all that water kills all the spices..just my own opinion.....

i haven't tried it yet but this might be answer to everyone tryin to recreate the takeawy curry..i'm hopin it is ..my currys are good but still not the same as takeaway

alexwilkie12@yahoo.co.uk

5kg of onions-11 pounds
1/2 serving spoon of salt
1/4 serving spoon of cummin
1/4 serving spoon of haldi
1/2 litre of veg oil
1/2 serving spoon of tomato puree
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 serving spoon of coconut cream
1 serving spoon of red lentils
1 serving spoon of ginger garlic
1 teaspoon of extra hot chilli powder

Online Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 12:20 PM »
bigboaby, it may be worth submitting your recipe to the 'base recipes' section of the site. That way it is more likely to get exposure. Also, can you expand on the method?

Base recipes: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=2.0

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Hi bigboaby,

Yes looks interesting. Are the onions pureed first or something?

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Guys, I've been away far too long due to moving house and business commitments and had a wee look over the weekend ahead of a dinner party due this coming weekend. I have now found this update, so thanks again for the work done. There was a genuine mistake in the salt amount for the bunjara but not for the base. The Ashoka recipes don't need salt. Also the careful attention to the slow process of cooking the bunjara is well worth the hastle. Having re stocked over the weekend and having made the Karahi Bhuna Chicken last night I was once again united with the fact that my nearly 40 years of searching for the perfect Glasgow BIR recipes has ended with the trilogy. That is the base, the cooked through garlic/ginger paste and the bunjara. Needless to say even after some 10 months away from cooking curry it hit the spot and my wife coming in from a day out said that the lane was smelling like Gibson St. Bunjara bye the way doesn't taste nicecon it's own but with the rest of the recipes turns into magic. I will do all I can to post more Ashoka Recipes in the week ahead Cheers

Online Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Guys, I've been away far too long due to moving house and business commitments and had a wee look over the weekend ahead of a dinner party due this coming weekend. I have now found this update, so thanks again for the work done. There was a genuine mistake in the salt amount for the bunjara but not for the base. The Ashoka recipes don't need salt. Also the careful attention to the slow process of cooking the bunjara is well worth the hastle. Having re stocked over the weekend and having made the Karahi Bhuna Chicken last night I was once again united with the fact that my nearly 40 years of searching for the perfect Glasgow BIR recipes has ended with the trilogy. That is the base, the cooked through garlic/ginger paste and the bunjara. Needless to say even after some 10 months away from cooking curry it hit the spot and my wife coming in from a day out said that the lane was smelling like Gibson St. Bunjara bye the way doesn't taste nicecon it's own but with the rest of the recipes turns into magic. I will do all I can to post more Ashoka Recipes in the week ahead Cheers

Great to see you around again Panpot!  :D

I remember being excited when you mentioned that you'd be posting some more recipes before you went away. I rate the Ashoka recipes very highly, certainly amongst the best on the forum, so I'm really looking forward to more recipes.  :)

* waits with bated breath *

©2024 Curry Recipes