Author Topic: Poppadom (moved)  (Read 14458 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Poppadom (moved)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Hi Phil,

My micrometer is currently away being calibrated but once it is back, I will let you know :P

Joking aside, I generally use plain pops either by Rajah or Nacto (I think)  The nacto ones are slightly bigger in diameter but I would say that they are thinner.  Do you think that it would make any difference?

Ray :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Joking aside, I generally use plain pops either by Rajah or Nacto (I think)  The nacto ones are slightly bigger in diameter but I would say that they are thinner.  Do you think that it would make any difference?

Yes !  The thin ones have very different cooking characteristics, and I have the greatest difficulty in cooking them well.  In fact, that might also explain Onion B's problem, if he is using those.  Both Rajah & TRS make "Madras" poppadom, which are clearly labelled as such, but in my experience the larger, thinner, poppadom require real skill to cook correctly, a skill that I seem to lack.  (In fact, if those are the only ones I have, I find it safer to grill them rather than fry : they aren't the same, but at least they don't go oily or burnt).

Hope that helps !
** Phil.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Hi Phil,

If it helps, I usually fry two at a time by sliding them into the oil in a wide frying pan, holding them under with a metal fish slice on the middle of the top pop.  They usually curl around the fish slice then instantly flattern out.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 05:40 PM »
If it helps, I usually fry two at a time by sliding them into the oil in a wide frying pan, holding them under with a metal fish slice on the middle of the top pop.  They usually curl around the fish slice then instantly flattern out.
OK, maybe this "two at once" method is the secret to the large thin papad; it will be interesting to see whether Curryhell also uses those.  Certainly for the smaller, thicker, Madras, poppadom, two at once seems unnecessary.

** Phil.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Hi Phil,

Exactly how i do it Ray but i use two fish/egg slices so i can easily control the little blighters once they start to curl.  Currently i have the ordinary Rajah madras popps measuring 6" in diameter (thickness varies from one to another).  I have only ever come across 8" ones that contain chili seeds or are flavoured with garlic etc.  Normally, wouldn't these would be served as a masalla poppadum and cooked in the tandoor (which i really detest as they seem to stick to the teeth)?  I have never tried deep frying them.  Can you imagine how big they would become :o
All i can say is that i have been using this method ever since i started attempting to cook BIR and there's no difference between what i put on the table and what is served by any of the restaurants or takeaways i use.  I wish i could master cooking the dishes as easily as i have mastered the poppadum cooking :'( Thanks for the heads up on the TRS tasting  better.  Only 3 packs of Rajah to get through, then TRS it is. ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 11:44 PM »
Hi Phil,

Exactly how i do it Ray but i use two fish/egg slices so i can easily control the little blighters once they start to curl.  Currently i have the ordinary Rajah madras popps measuring 6" in diameter (thickness varies from one to another).  I have only ever come across 8" ones that contain chili seeds or are flavoured with garlic etc.  Normally, wouldn't these would be served as a masalla poppadum and cooked in the tandoor (which i really detest as they seem to stick to the teeth)?  I have never tried deep frying them.  Can you imagine how big they would become :o
All i can say is that i have been using this method ever since i started attempting to cook BIR and there's no difference between what i put on the table and what is served by any of the restaurants or takeaways i use.  I wish i could master cooking the dishes as easily as i have mastered the poppadum cooking :'( Thanks for the heads up on the TRS tasting  better.  Only 3 packs of Rajah to get through, then TRS it is. ;D

Hi Onion B and Phill
Curryhell and Razor are spot on with their "two at once" explanation.

I've been using this method over 35 years, the only problem for me, is that
once I get the production line going, I end up with far too many!

I was in one of my local BIR's last night, as Chef Kohninoor was cooking up a batch.

He was occasionally doing four at a time, What a star!

If you still have problem's, why not try mini papads,  I prefer these at home
especially the black pepper variety, just a handful in the deep fat fryer for a
few seconds and yum!
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-Gits-Mini-Plain-Papads.html

chewy

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 09:06 AM »
Agreed, tbe mini-papads are excellent.  We used to be able to buy these when we went to the Yo-Han Plaza (later "Oriental City", now defunct) from a small Indian grocers just down the road from the Plaza, but now that it has shut we no longer have any reason for going there (apart from the papad !), so I used TRS or Rajah Madras these days.

** Phil.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:20 AM »
I always try and make my own at home. We usually like 4 or 5 with a takeaway (between wife and I) and at 50p - 60p a pop (pun intended) they are terrible value. I go for the two at a time method but I use a big pair of tongs, slide them into the oil for a couple of seconds so they curl up, then flip them over for another couple of seconds so they uncurl. Then I stand them up on their side on kitchen paper for a bit, then they go in the warming oven for 20 mins to dry out. Beautiful.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 09:41 AM »
I think the warming over is important, don't you Chris ?  It really makes them dry & crispy, and helps lose any residual oil.  But not too warm, mind : 80C ?
** Phil.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Hi Phil,

How exactly do you fry your popadums?

When I put mine in hot oil they curl up like those party whistles and come out (after 3 seconds) soaked in vegetable oil, left on a kitchen towel to dry out, 30 mins later they taste like vegetable oil.

Thanks
O.B
Sounds as if your oil is not sufficiently hot.  I take mine up to 190C at full power, then back it off to about 85% while I fry the poppadom.  I hold them down in a vertical-sided earthenware crockpot or a good deep wok using metal kitchen tongs spread wide, then after just a few seconds grab one of edges that will by then have emerged above the oil, rapidly withdraw the poppadom, and hold it above the crockpot until all the excess oil has drained off.  I then stand it vertically in a wicker basket lined with kitchen paper, and repeat until the basket will hold no more.  They can then be eaten fresh, or if you want them on subsequent days, warm them in a cool oven (no more than 80C) for ten to fifteen minutes.  Always serve them on fresh kitchen paper in a wicker basket to allow any residual oil to leach away from the poppadom and to allow the poppadom to breath.

** Phil.

Hi All

Some really great tips in here on cooking popadums!

So are you perfectly happy with the temperatures that you suggest Phil, 190 then reduce to about 160? then cook?

Is there any other thoughts on the ideal temperature please? just want to be sure as mine are really hit and miss :( - however lots of new techniques to try now!

cheers all

©2024 Curry Recipes