Author Topic: Danger from cooking oil re-use  (Read 3672 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Danger from cooking oil re-use
« on: October 28, 2005, 12:54 PM »
I don't know if any of these fears are justified, or whether we need to be concerned, but please see:

http://www.balavi.com/Eng/content_article/a000030.html

...and loads of other warnings found by a google search on "cooking oil reuse"

Regards
George

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Danger from cooking oil re-use
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 02:21 PM »
An interesting read George, but nothing new really. I think that if you stick to the use of three oils, peanut, olive and rape seed (this one is a bit dubious though), you probably can't go wrong. Combine this with common sense usage, like using as little oil as possible in the first place and then reusing as little as possible, and I think you've done as much as you can to minimise any potential health risks.

As a matter of interest how does everyone dispose of unwanted oil? I add washing liquid to it, to emulsify it, and flush it down the loo. I feel guilty adding oil to the sewer system but I don't know how else to dispose of it. Any suggestions?

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 03:04 PM »
George,
I was always taught that oil used for deep frying should not be used ideally more than once for deep frying.  Like that article you posted the link to, the fear is the same that it is very unhealthy to do so.  Once I deep fry with the oil, I save it and use it to cook my regular dishes. The fact it does not get to that intense heat and remain there a long time makes me believe I can use it up that way.  To deep fry, I use fresh oil each time.  I dont have any oil to dispose of either this way.

Payal

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 03:12 PM »
As a matter of interest how does everyone dispose of unwanted oil? I add washing liquid to it, to emulsify it, and flush it down the loo. I feel guilty adding oil to the sewer system but I don't know how else to dispose of it. Any suggestions?

Good point! I often wonder where sink waste ends up and, moreover, how everything is cleaned up for potential re-use as water, if that's what happens! I have always tipped bleach, ink, weed killer, foor cleaner, turps, white spirit and surplus (diluted) paint down the sink, for a start, together with cooking oil, of course.

Payal - perhaps the safety concerns are lower when you only heat oil to a lower temperature, e.g, to prepare a base sauce or 'stage 2' curry. Perhaps it's safer to re-use the oil then, You'd think the health and safety people would be aware of oil re-use in BIRs and would have stopped it, if there was any threat to public health. There again, rock concerts and discos aren't good for long term hearing, but the authorities don't do much about it.

Regards
George
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 05:31 PM by George »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 03:45 PM »
A chef I spoke to and trusted told me they don't reuse oil for health and safety reasons, but as always I think each restaurant\takeaway has their own methods \do's and dont's.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 04:04 PM »
I know the place I had my last demo at, definitely does reuse the oil.
Look at this picture of their prawn madras
http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=prawnmadrasoil6wa.jpg
It tasted fantastic
But how much oil?
That is making up a giant part of the taste, surely.

(I still can't post pictures on this site, any ideas why?)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 06:25 PM »
About this oil reusing issue - isnt it the same at Mcdonalds or any other place that fries french fries or onion rings or burgers?  They reuse the oil again and again.  It is not regulated and cannot be - it would be too costly for restaurants to use fresh oil every time.

Payal

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 07:55 AM »
Thanks, anyhow

©2024 Curry Recipes