Author Topic: My Chicken Korma  (Read 7362 times)

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
My Chicken Korma
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:35 PM »
Here is my recipe for Chicken Korma.

Its is my wifes favourite.I find it a struggle to cook her any other curries, so generally end up cooking this for her plus a.n.other for me lol.

One thing that I believe Pat Chapman mentioned once is Korma does not HAVE to be mild.It can be as spicy(like anything really) as you like, and this does have a slight kick to it.
This would be due to the base that I recommend using for it, that I have just posted on the Base sauce section.If you want a totally mild korma, obviously, just cut down on the chilli powder.

Here it is:-

Chicken Korma

450g Chicken Breasts, cubed
60g/4 Tbsp olive oil/Ghee
225g/15 Tbsp Madmatts Curry Base
150g/ Small pot single/Double cream(Either works well)
3 Tbsp Desicated Coconut
2 Tbsp Sugar

Heat oil/ghee then add chicken anf fry until sealed(4 mins)
Add Curry Base and fry for 2 mins.
Add sugar,coconut and cream.
Bring to simmer then cover on low to med heat for 5/10 mins.
Stir well then simmer for 5 mins.
Cover again  and simmer on lowish heat for another 5 mins.Stir frequently.
When sauce is thick and meat cooked serve up!!!!

Enjoy-And please let me know how you all get on!!

Regards

Matt

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My Chicken Korma
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Hey all,
I view this forum fairy regularly and indeed try many recipes, generally with very good results and admit this one may not be for the curry expert but as a korma I think it's as good as any BIR and am gutted after all this time no one has given it a try and posted their opinion! Someone try it(with my easy base recipe) and give it to your missus(vindaloo for the boy zzz) I'm sure she won't be disappointed!

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28 AM »
Someone try it(with my easy base recipe) and give it to your missus(vindaloo for the boy zzz) I'm sure she won't be disappointed!

That counts me out then. I'm a sad geezer living alone. You then stoke the perception that kormas are for girls and vindaloos are for boys. It's rare I eat a korma these days but they're as worthy as any other dish, in my opinion. It's a pity the 'mob' don't see it that way, or the awful author who wrote the 'Undercover' book.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:33 AM »
...I view this forum fairy regularly...

Out the individual now! :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Hey all,
I view this forum fairy regularly and indeed try many recipes, generally with very good results and admit this one may not be for the curry expert but as a korma I think it's as good as any BIR and am gutted after all this time no one has given it a try and posted their opinion! Someone try it(with my easy base recipe) and give it to your missus(vindaloo for the boy zzz) I'm sure she won't be disappointed!

Not a big fan of the korma but can see your recipe working.  The korma dishes I've seen made at a TA also appear relatively straightforward.  Basically, heat pan (no oil), then add a cs and a bit of coconut flour, and slightly less almond powder, and toast, briefly. 1/2 cs of sugar next.  Then add the chicken (usually tikka) and all the base gravy needed, together with a few squirts of St Ivel UHT cream (it comes in cartons).  All set up in under a minute.  Then stir, cook, one or two scrape downs, minimal reduction, and that's it.  Top seller.

A chef showed me a nice little trick for the cream swirl garnish. When opening a new carton of cream, cut a neat 1/2 inch opening at the top on one side, at about a 45 degree angle.  This will be fine for squirting the cream into the korma during cooking.  For the swirl garnish, pinch the opening down you've made in the carton between your fingers (it's easiest to do with your other hand, i.e hold the carton with one hand, and pinch down the opening with the other), so that it is very narrow.  Surprising easy now to produce any swirl/dot pattern you like on top of the korma, as long as it's done fairly quickly and smoothly, it looks really quite professional!  Also done for CTM and Butter Chicken.

Rob  :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Personally I have no incentives to try your korma, when the way I cook my own is generally far superior to a BIR, hence I have no intent to go looking for changes. However, your recipe rings badly at many levels, for instance:

1. the use of olive oil
2. the use of desiccated coconut
3. the amount of cream used

As George, I also don't see why making a distinction of kormas=girls and boys=vindaloo, I've a sweet tooth (many in fact) and I'd just as happily eat a proper korma as I'd eat a proper vindaloo.

©2024 Curry Recipes