Author Topic: My new curry pan  (Read 4572 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
My new curry pan
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:26 PM »
9" karahi with a single handle made from a cracked old mini garden spade and a claw
hammer handle  :P

the handle might be too long, but i'll see how it goes for now. will be christening it with 976bar's chicken bhuna. ;)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:01 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My new curry pan
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:15 PM »
Hey DP,

Have you actually made that :o

My god, that's amazing :D

Ray :)

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:33 PM »
Hi Ray

im guessing just the wooden handle part?

if hes knocked it all up from scratch.....RESPECT! :o

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:53 PM »
yes, just the handle. :)
took the angle grinder to a small broken spade to leave a couple of inches to
attach the the karahi. then whittled away at a spare hammer handle. joined the finished handle to the bowl with  iron rivets.
i was actually looking for a piece of pipe for a handle. Flatten one end, and stick a bit of broom handle in the other end like the chinese do with a wok :D
but i found the spade first ;)
cheers, frank.

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:05 AM »
That's a  fine looking pan and probably your most prized piece of cookware.
Good work

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 04:51 PM »
9" karahi with a single handle made from a cracked old mini garden spade and a claw
hammer handle  :P

the handle might be too long, but i'll see how it goes for now. will be christening it with 976bar's chicken bhuna. ;)
problem is,using a wok which is stainless steel,the curries acid eats away at the non stick layer which you put on when frying other food thats why they use thick aliminium pan for curry dishes/asuming you are going to use it for curry dishes But good idea fo a handle

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Hi Terry,

problem is,using a wok which is stainless steel,the curries acid eats away at the non stick layer which you put on when frying other food thats why they use thick aliminium pan for curry dishes/asuming you are going to use it for curry dishes But good idea fo a handle

Totally agree, I find the same thing if I ever use my wok.  It takes me ages to build up a good patina, only then to have it removed by cooking curry in it.

Ray :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:49 PM »
the pan has been great, the handle length also. a dream to use and a natural non stick surface :)
its Not stainless steel but made from a type of iron. and NOT cast ;)
most probably pounded iron or something.
the patina has been holding up really well. dont forget its only a 10 min fry, so any lifting of the coating is very minimal if at all.
i coat it with oil after cooking just like you would with any seasoned pan, but then burn it in for a couple of mins. (which is no big deal, because it goes back on the heat to dry after a quick rinse with hot water anyway)

i just need to find the right spoon/turner to use with it.............might have to get the angle grinder out again :P

Cheers, Frank  ;)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 09:19 PM »
i just need to find the right spoon/turner to use with it.............might have to get the angle grinder out again :P

Cheers, Frank  ;)

Nice one Frank.  The lengths we curry lovers will go to eh??? :o.  Just a suggestion and something i read and thought, yeah, good point and i've tried it and it works well.  When seasoning don't use oil as it tends to result in a stick surface.  Use a solid fat like lard.  It burns into the surface but dries out hard, unlike oil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:25 PM »
i did that with my cast iron dutch pot recently ;)
hadn't used it for a while and didn't notice that one of those salt block lights was slowly dripping onto and inside it ::)
(was in a damp outhouse)

had to get the wire brushes out and re-season. chucked a block of lard in and left in the bottom of the oven for a week heating with other foods.
came up a treat :D
it didnt create the puddled patches you can get sometimes when the fat dries, because it melted down evenly. there was 1/4 inch still in the bottom when i thought it'd had enough.
been using it since for the no knead breads  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes