Author Topic: Basaar Mix, an answer from the Kushi  (Read 13285 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Basaar Mix, an answer from the Kushi
« on: January 03, 2006, 11:39 PM »
Hi All,

Especially Pete who I believe aked a question about the use of Basaar Mix. I wrote to the Kushi Restaurant and asked if the chef used it and if so what for and have just recieved this answer:-

"Dear Mr. Graham,

Happy new year!? I've had chance to ask Mr. Haydor about your query.? Here are some of his thoughts:

As you probably know (because you have the mix yourself) - it's a very powerful ingredient - more often than not made from chillies, peppercorns and various other spices depending on the manufacturer.? It can also be fine or coarse.

It's not something he uses in his restaurant, as the potency and flavour completely overpowers any other flavour you've included - essentially "cancelling out" the more aromatic spices like curry powder or cumin etc.? The main function is to give heat - but there is a word of warning:? Mr. Haydor described to me the heat it produces as "unpleasant" - and if not used correctly can lead to severe indigestion!? I get the impression that it's one of those things you either love or hate, but there's no harm trying it in your favourite dish to see what result you get.?

Its use is not widespread in restaurants - and, as you say is more used in the home.? But it can be used in certain types of kebab (like Sheekh kebab etc) - although he chooses not to.

It's also occasionally used in deep-fried spicy dishes - one example he knows of is in foods like southern fried chicken, to give it that extra "boost".

Anyway, I hope that helps - and that you have fun experimenting with it.

Kind regards, and thanks for getting in touch,
Andy"

My own opinion is to agree with what he says in that this powdered spice is very powerful and should be treated with caution rather like one would handle Garam Masala.
I think it smells fantastic but just a very small amount is very feiry and can obliterate other flavours through it's intensity. It is just too hot for me but perhaps the brand I have bought is meant to be and others may be milder. I think I could relate to Mr Haydors warning of severe indigestion as it seems to have the potency of gunpowder, paint-stripper or drain cleaner.
Speaking to a couple of asian women who use it at home they tell me only about a teaspoon or two is used in a family pot of curry along with the Onions, Garlic and Ginger. Nothing else seems to be added spice-wise so gives a graphic example how potent it is.

I don't think it has much use in the BIR setting generally although it is a quality curry powder mix and I am sure will add a certain something to many dishes if used with caution. I know a few on the site have had some success with it and the fact it exists means it is certainly used in some applications of asian cooking but I don't think the BIR setting is the place it is used most.

Ray

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Basaar Mix, an answer from the Kushi
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:13 AM »
I have to agree it is an excellent Spice mix for adding heat to almost any dish,didn't realize that it would give you bad indigestion,having used it several times as an alternative to Chilli powder, i think its usefull in the kitchen but have to also agree it doesn't transform a home made Curry into a BIR Curry.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 08:36 PM »
it doesn't transform a home made Curry into a BIR Curry.
On it's own, it doesn't
But I have seen it in a takeaway
It is used as the curry powder part of the "restaurant spice mix"
There are loads of different makes and they are not all hot
The one I use is no hotter than a standard "East End" Madras curry powder
The ingredients are:-
paprika,turmeric,coriander,garlic,cloves,fenugreek,mustard,ginger,chilli,black cardamom,curry leaf,fennel,cummin,black pepper,ground cinnamon,edible oil
I bought a "small" 400 gramme pack, but it also comes in wacking great catering packs too.
I wouldn't make the assumption that all curryhouses use it, but certainly one does

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 09:17 PM »
it doesn't transform a home made Curry into a BIR Curry.
I wouldn't make the assumption that all curryhouses use it, but certainly one does

It is interesting that Pete has seen this used in at leat one BIR and confirms it has a place in the restaurant setting even though the Kushi Restaurant chef chooses not to use it himself. I agree with Darth it does not transform a home made curry but do think it can play a vital part if used in the right context ( but I have not found that context yet! ).

The fact this stuff exists at all must indicate it has a use in some application of Curry Cooking.

I find it in every asian grocers I walk in to near me ( minimum quantity 1 kilo ), but also must add it is not in such abundance as many of the other spices. I do think it is an ethnic thing and more linked to home cooking than the Curry House cooking we all enjoy but I could be wrong.

What I bought was very potent but was extremely aromatic and gave the impression it was a quality product ( it smells absolutely gorgeous ), and that is why I thought it was worth sending out a few samples to others on the site to try.

Personally, I find it hard to directly link it to the answers we are all looking for but treat it more as a good quality curry powder to be added when the recipe asks for a "Curry Powder" to be added..

I think if used in the right way and with a bit of forethought it could lift the taste of a lot of dishes as I believe Darth, Blondie and Pete can testify.

But as for the secret...........I shall reserve judgement on this one.

Regards

Ray

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 09:24 PM »
It does smell gorgeous, when I opened the packet you sent me Ray the smell was out of this world, my feeling on this particular mix is you could easily substitute it for chilli powder to add more depth to a dish

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 09:52 PM »
Hi Mark,

I quite agree.
The smell to me is better than any air freshner you can buy. Just give me a packet of this in the car, throw out the "Magic Tree"? and I am in heaven!!!
I also think that it could? be? substituted for chilli powder in any recipe and will give that extra boost to the flavour of the dish.

Having said that I still need to find out more about this interesting and elusive spice mix!

Ray

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 10:50 PM »
I substitute Chilli powder for Bassar mix often & it think it smells bloody marvelous,thanks Ray for introducing me to it  ;).
Try putting some with a bag of salted Peanuts mmmmmm !!! Hey Darth you got Bassaar Nuts & they taste lovely !!!! ;D

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 11:28 PM »
I looked in stores  in Leicester and Birmingham (indian stores) over christmas holidays and saw no basaar mix in any store!!!!  Maybe it is a regional thing.  I wasnt interested in buying it, just curious to see if it existed near me.  and the stores near many of you sell huge bags!!  Someone is using it, for sure ::)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 01:25 AM »
Could someone please post a photo or scan of the Basaar Mix packet, so we know what to look out for?

Regards
George

Offline steve e

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 07:14 AM »
Hi All,
Bought a kilo pack of basaar mix yesterday ?2.49 smells lovely,noticed they had 5 kilo bags too so
it does back up the theory of restaurant useage.
steve e

©2024 Curry Recipes