Author Topic: Eastern star curry powder ?  (Read 21365 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern star curry powder ?
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I ordered some of this today from Ifind4you.Actually got to speak on the phone,very nice chap indeed...gonna throw in some of the elusive garam masala as well many thanks.I'm all set now spice mix,my new tandoori oven and I've ordered a nice new curry pan from Julian at Curry2go.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Update on E star curry powder

I asked the seller on a well known auction site what was added to this mix to make it indian here is the response

Jalpur Gala Masala Jeera Dhania Paprika Haldi and small bit of Chilly powder these are the exact words so who is copying who?

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:48 AM »
I would like to know what makes eastern Star CP, different to any of the other 10kg catering cp. It's not available here, but is at least 20% more expensive than Rajah Gold/ King Curry / Ship Brand etc. I would imagine it's superior somehow, going on the price alone. The catering brands are also unavailable in retail sizes/outlets, which leaves me wondering what they taste like(restaurant taste??), albeit it the small amounts used in a mix powder. Has anyone ever bought & used a 10kg catering CP for home use?

Regards
ELW
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:17 PM by ELW »

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Update on E star curry powder

I asked the seller on a well known auction site what was added to this mix to make it indian here is the response

Jalpur Gala Masala Jeera Dhania Paprika Haldi and small bit of Chilly powder these are the exact words so who is copying who?

Not sure what you mean by this noble ox?

The ebay seller is Ifindforyou, hence the spice mix given is the same as posted on here by him.

Martin

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:19 PM »
I would like to know what makes eastern Star CP, different to any of the other 10kg catering cp. It's not available here, but is at least 20% more expensive than Rajah Gold/ King Curry / Ship Brand etc. I would imagine it's superior somehow, going on the price alone. The catering brands are also unavailable in retail sizes/outlets, which leaves me wondering what they taste like(restaurant taste??), albeit it the small amounts used in a mix powder. Has anyone ever bought & used a 10kg catering CP for home use?

Regards
ELW
Hi ELW
Repeating myself again, but still don't get the idea of using ES Chinese curry powder in BIR, but hey... :D

I can't imagine anybody buying a catering 10kg tin of curry powder for home use.

But very interesting you mention Ship brand MCP, where have you seen this for sale in the UK, I'd love to get hold of some,
purely nostalgia, because I remembered the big green tins in the restaurants when I was a kid, but couldn't remember the name
until I asked around a few old Chef/Owner's and they said it was Ship but they can't get it anymore and haven't for years.

For me this would fine tune and complete my 70's curry base ;)

cheers Chewy

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Hi ELW,
I wrote to Eastern Star last month and this was the reply:

Hi Frank

Thank you for your interest in Eastern Star.  Firstly could I ask you where you read the good reviews?

Eastern Star has been supplied to the Chinese wholesale market in the 10kg tin for over 40 years.  We do not do this product in any other size.  We are the largest curry supplier in the UK and produce curry powders for all of the major supermarkets.  However the Eastern Star recipe is unique.

Do you require Eastern Star for personal or commercial use?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Tedore?

British Pepper & Spice

www.britishpepper.co.uk

Sent: 19 December 2011 09:17
To: Chris Tedore
Subject: FW: Eastern Star Curry Powder

I didnt name any websites as there was some bitching going on at the time.
 I didn't receive a follow-up.  :(

If anyone else wants to probe further then go ahead. As they say up north "Shy Bairns get Nowt"   ;)

Frank.

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 01:37 PM »
SHIP BRAND
Green Label
MADRAS CURRY POWDER
Coriander Seeds, Turmeric, Chillies, Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Trifala & Nagkeser (Fragrant Spices), Cloves, Cassia, Garlic, Curry Leaves and Salt

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Trifala -  Natural Herbal Laxative and Colon Cleanser  :P

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Trifala -  Natural Herbal Laxative and Colon Cleanser  :P

OH yes, We need some of that ;D

Nagkesar Spice  =  cinnamon flower buds (dried)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Regards
ELW
Hi ELW
Repeating myself again, but still don't get the idea of using ES Chinese curry powder in BIR, but hey... :D

I can't imagine anybody buying a catering 10kg tin of curry powder for home use.

But very interesting you mention Ship brand MCP, where have you seen this for sale in the UK, I'd love to get hold of some,
purely nostalgia, because I remembered the big green tins in the restaurants when I was a kid, but couldn't remember the name
until I asked around a few old Chef/Owner's and they said it was Ship but they can't get it anymore and haven't for years.

For me this would fine tune and complete my 70's curry base ;)

cheers Chewy
Hi Chewytikka, it was in one of the Chinese/Asian c&c's in Glasgow, where I saw Ship Brand. I can't remember for sure, but it may have been Chans Ltd, Farnell Street, Glasgow. There's a few c&c's over there within walking distance. Rajah was the only brand of the 10kg's I'd even heard of there, (albeit Rajah Gold?? ) They looked like old motor oil containers! Ship Brand seems to have stuck in my mind for some reason & the green tins are ringing a bell. I'll maybe get there this weekend to check it out again
regards
ELW

©2024 Curry Recipes