Author Topic: ali pans explained  (Read 15767 times)

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
ali pans explained
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:43 PM »
Found this on youtube by curry2go,  you may have seen already maybe, gotta get me an ali pan now+big burner!  http://www.youtube.com/user/leviteish?feature=watch#p/u/11/hFG4FB9DhXM

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: ali pans explained
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Hi Fishy  ;D

Nice one, I notice that cast iron is ok too (according to the video), I'm going to try that first as I've got one. Searched for ali pans on eBay but no luck. Any ideas?

Cheers  :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:44 PM »

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 05:10 PM »

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 11:29 PM »
Dadibhais are great, I've ordered from them no problem. but postage can make them expensive unless you are ordering a few things.

Or they still have some of these left

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ipac-Grandi-Cuochi-Aluminium-Fry/dp/B0052WSA08/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327879347&sr=8-2

Obviously, has been discussed, the cheapest places to get them are from Asian supermarkets, if you have one local.

Martin

Offline mikeyp

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Try here Terramamba  ;)

http://www.dadibhais.com/index.php/kitchen/cookware/frying-omelette-pans.html

6.50p for postage upto 20kg

Frank  :)

I got 2 of those ali pans, very good value and nice long handles too, saves the curry splashing on your hands and wrists lol!!

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5632.0

Thank you, they look the business!  :)

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 08:26 PM »
I'm impressed with this company, http://www.dadibhais.com/index.php/kitchen/cookware/frying-omelette-pans.html  ordered today, delivery promised tomorrow! 

Also the ali is one hundred percent food grade. I know there's no proven scientific link between Alzheimer's and aluminium, but I remember well being told to cook eggs until the yolk is hard, ruination of a good yolk I say!

Thanks for the tips! :)

Currymonster3194

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but been cooking curries for years in a non stick Tefal pan, with good results but I always strive for that unique restaurant taste which I am so close to achieving now

I read with absolute interest what's been discussed on this thread about the importance of a good heat conducting pan, but having witnessed just how terrible Alzheimer's is I am very timid rightly or wrongly about using the favoured Aluminium frying pans
I know the general consensus is its safe but me being of a sceptical nature ain't that convinced

Si I think I may go for the other option of cast iron and I guess I can go for the larger size of  11.5 inch (28cm) as it due to the weight won't topple caused by a long handle

I know a lot of you guys are well experienced so was wondering what all your views are on the cast iron option and 11.5 inch size

Many thanks in advance

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but been cooking curries for years in a non stick Tefal pan, with good results but I always strive for that unique restaurant taste which I am so close to achieving now

I read with absolute interest what's been discussed on this thread about the importance of a good heat conducting pan, but having witnessed just how terrible Alzheimer's is I am very timid rightly or wrongly about using the favoured Aluminium frying pans
I know the general consensus is its safe but me being of a sceptical nature ain't that convinced

Si I think I may go for the other option of cast iron and I guess I can go for the larger size of  11.5 inch (28cm) as it due to the weight won't topple caused by a long handle

I know a lot of you guys are well experienced so was wondering what all your views are on the cast iron option and 11.5 inch size

Many thanks in advance
Are we talking real "cast iron" here or "black iron", two totally different beasts ;D.   My three curry pans are black iron. I bought mine after my first visit to a BIR kitchen all them years ago. These are what i've seen being used in all the kitchens that i've been in.  I have two 9" one portion pans and a 10" (measured across the top of the pan) for a double portion  although i tend to use the later for most curries, the 9" being used for side dishes. That way i have more curry in the pan than on the stove as many of us have experienced over the years  ;D. As for the ali pans, obvioulsy  a lot  of people use them and swear by them.  The silly thing that puts me off is the noise you get when scraping the chef's spoon across the surface.  It has the same effect on me as scraping your finger nail down a blackboard or running a fork through your teeth....ahhh >:(  Personally 11.5" i believe will be a little on the big side and would suggest a 10" as here:
http://www.dadibhais.com/index.php/kitchen/cookware/frying-omelette-pans/black-iron-omelette-pans-with-tubular-handles.html

What do others think?

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 11:04 AM »
Good advice CH, I think the cast iron would be too "slow" and heavy. If you don't want to use aluminium I think black iron is the way to go. Personally I don't think there is a chance in hell of your ali pan causing dementia and yes I've witnessed this disease first hand too.

Cheers,

Paul

©2024 Curry Recipes