Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Roshney - Zaal - Az - Cooking Lessions  (Read 9628 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Tikka Roshney - Zaal - Az - Cooking Lessions
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:24 PM »

With reference to: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7714.0

Parental advisory - moderate to strong language on at least two occasions.

Featuring one of the Zaal restaurants house special dishes 'Roshney' - Second clip features a grand tarka finish with a large flamb

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Roshney - Zaal - Az - Cooking Lessions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:36 PM »
Yay! This is the one I've been looking forward to  :) will be most helpful when trying to reproduce this at home.

I was amazed how brown Az let the garlic get before adding to the sauce. Way more colour than I expected.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:58 PM »
Excellent camera action Russ ;)  Love the flambee done at the other end of the range by Chris :o :o.  That's what i call a flambee ;D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04 AM »
I've watched this back a few times, figuring out the recipe as I go because although that's me in the video cooking, everything was a bit of a blur at the time and I was just following Az's instructions trying to keep up and not make a mess of things, so there wasn't a lot of time for analysing as we went along. I know we've discussed it at length in the other thread but still the thing which stands out for me is the extent to which the spices & tomato puree were burned, triggering the coughing you can hear from myself and Solarspace. This obviously has a significant impact on the flavour of the final dish.

Now I look at the Vid there are a few observations.  First, has anyone spotted what's missing? Ghee, onions & peppers, salt, methi, mix powder, chilli powder, tomato pur
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:19 AM by natterjak »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Hi natterjak

Personal opinion is that the onion and pepper looked fine with that amount of colour, really don't think they were too done.

The omission of a tsp or so of G&G at the beginning is almost certainly not necessary for the Roshney due to the large quantity of fresh garlic tarka at the finish.

I think it is a small pinch of salt Az adds to the garlic pan, but hopefully ChrisWG can confirm this.

Questioning my own memory now on whether there was G&G paste used with my Vindaloo either! - still have that and JB's bhuna videos to post.

Good job you did there :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Solar I think there was G&G paste added to your vindaloo, I seem to remember noting the slight browning of the paste at the edges of the pan because I was keenly noting how far Az would allow you to take this before the addition of the next ingredients. Of course I could be thinking of one of the other dishes though as it all merges into one now!

I can think of umpteen questions for Az now but recall as we all sat down to eat the food at the end of the lesson there wasn't lots of chatter. I think we were all a bit punchdrunk from the information overload and probably starving hungry for our mid-afternoon "lunch"!   ;D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:48 AM »
I've watched this back a few times, figuring out the recipe as I go because although that's me in the video cooking, everything was a bit of a blur at the time and I was just following Az's instructions trying to keep up and not make a mess of things, so there wasn't a lot of time for analysing as we went along. I know we've discussed it at length in the other thread but still the thing which stands out for me is the extent to which the spices & tomato puree were burned, triggering the coughing you can hear from myself and Solarspace. This obviously has a significant impact on the flavour of the final dish.
Would that be the tomato paste and spices burning or the coughing that had the impact ;D. The vid does make it look so easy but it's really not when you're doing it for the first time as i experienced.
Now I look at the Vid there are a few observations.  First, has anyone spotted what's missing? Ghee, onions & peppers, salt, methi, mix powder, chilli powder, tomato pur

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Questioning my own memory now on whether there was G&G paste used with my Vindaloo either!
It was definitely garlic in the phall from the little pot on the table rather than the bucket of g/g paste.  Alzeimers or information overload and brain freeze or should it be brain singe?  ;D

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Thats pretty much standard language in my kitchen :)

I get the choking fumes frequently when using fresh chillies, but not from any other spices. From 1:50 until the gravy goes in, looks like where the new flavour is created. I've had brief flashes of this at home, but now I see I've been cooling it with  the gravy too early.It makes me wonder why none of the bir books & recipe's really focus on this much at all, except to tell you not to burn them? The chefs seem oblivious to the grief this has caused us.  ;D
With this hindsight, I see now that the KD stuff did have everything required to create bir, from base gravy,onion paste,homemade gm to the masala sauce, but the cooking technique was completely missing, same with the Ashoka report on here. Bruce Edwards never focussed on this either, but he was  'bhagaring' his gravy way back ???

I'd like to know if the mix powder is mainly a way of getting spices into a pan quickly, for even cooking & if Az would use one at home?

Does Az use pre cooked pepper/onion? The they are normally pretty soft here with virtually no colour on them. Especially the peppers.

Regards
ELW

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Thats pretty much standard language in my kitchen :)
And definitely in mine yesterday >:( >:(
I've had brief flashes of this at home, but now I see I've been cooling it with  the gravy too early.It makes me wonder why none of the bir books & recipe's really focus on this much at all, except to tell you not to burn them? The chefs seem oblivious to the grief this has caused us.  ;D
With this hindsight, I see now that the KD stuff did have everything required to create bir, from base gravy,onion paste,homemade gm to the masala sauce, but the cooking technique was completely missing, same with the Ashoka report on here. Bruce Edwards never focussed on this either, but he was  'bhagaring' his gravy way back ???
Herein lies the secret.  So significant but so overlooked by all :o :o
Does Az use pre cooked pepper/onion? The they are normally pretty soft here with virtually no colour on them. Especially the peppers.
I can't be sure about this as i didn't see any evidence but i would expect this for expediency reasons in the kitchen.  However,  :D i did notice the chef prepare some pre-cooked onion which just may have had some ginger garlic or just garlic fried in with it.  I caught sight of him frying something and then, low and behold this container of fried onions appeared next to the pre-cooked chicken and lamb pots. ;D ;D
This is where i now intend to go with my saag bhaji quest ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes