Author Topic: Chicken 65  (Read 12458 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken 65
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Made this yesterday for a few friends
Image hosting by CR0.co.uk

Image hosting by CR0.co.uk

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken 65
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Hi UF,

That looks really nice :)

I've had this a few times when I was in the USA and over there it's covered in a batter which I don't really like.

Are you going to post the recipe for us all or is it already on here? :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Thanks for that UF,

I have 2 Asian stores which I use, one in Crowthorns and one in Aldershot and I am sure I have seen that stuff in one of them somewhere...

As for that guy, he cracks me up!!  ;D ;D

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Hi UF and 976bar

UF, those pictures look great. :)

I make this too with a friend of mine, at least once a month. He really likes it and invites me over to be 'sous chef' while he concentrates on deep frying the chicken and cooking the final dish. And I get a free meal out of it, which is a result!

UF, where do you get your Rooster brand Tong Ot Toi? We looked everywhere on the net for a UK supplier and ended up getting some off eBay USA initially, just to try it. It was too expensive that way, so we went through several home made recipes for it and various shop-bought generic chill/garlic pastes before finally settling on Flying Goose Brand Sriracha as a substitute. But the original brand in the video recipe is definitely the best.

Here's a pic of the last one we made. My salad presentation is a bit clunky - we usually go for a rocket and spinach mix. I also added a bit too much water so we ended up with a bit of a sauce, but it was still lovely. We add more chillies to make it blisteringly hot, too.  :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:18 PM »
I must add that when cooking this dish, when you add the chicken to the sauce, i turn the heat up to high and stir and shake all the time, using a non-stick sauce pan http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-7054.aspx
Then it becomes sticky and hot.
Also i add 1 tsp black pepper to the batter for the chicken and 1 tsp black pepper in the sauce.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21 PM »
Hi UF and 976bar

UF, those pictures look great. :)

I make this too with a friend of mine, at least once a month. He really likes it and invites me over to be 'sous chef' while he concentrates on deep frying the chicken and cooking the final dish. And I get a free meal out of it, which is a result!

UF, where do you get your Rooster brand Tong Ot Toi? We looked everywhere on the net for a UK supplier and ended up getting some off eBay USA initially, just to try it. It was too expensive that way, so we went through several home made recipes for it and various shop-bought generic chill/garlic pastes before finally settling on Flying Goose Brand Sriracha as a substitute. But the original brand in the video recipe is definitely the best.

Here's a pic of the last one we made. My salad presentation is a bit clunky - we usually go for a rocket and spinach mix. I also added a bit too much water so we ended up with a bit of a sauce, but it was still lovely. We add more chillies to make it blisteringly hot, too.  :)

I went to Hyperama and they have an Asian section, anyway spoke to an Asian dude on the veg counter and he said "no difference" so i used the "Goose" brand as well.
Think it was 76 pence for a medium sized bottle.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Guys, both dishes look good  :P .  But it's not a dish i am familiar with  ???.  Can you give me some background to it?? I can only look at food at the moment due to a crater in my mouth where a large molar used to reside >:(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:05 AM by curryhell »

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Hi there CH could try this http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070524211912AADir7I

Quite a few stories.  ;D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Thanks for that Uf. The dish has an interesting backgroung and mystiqe to it ;D. I will get round to trying it, eventually  ::) . There are so many dishes to try ???

©2024 Curry Recipes