Author Topic: Chicken 65  (Read 12459 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken 65
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Those photo's have sold this to me also, will be giving it a go soon.

check out vachef drinking bitter gourd juice video when you've a spare minute  ;D

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 02:51 PM »
My neighbour's just called round to say he's cooking it again tonight, and I'm invited in on prep duties as usual.  :) Just a note for anyone who does try this:

We use the video recipe at http://www.vahrehvah.com/Chicken+65:3560 that UF posted above. There is a written version there too, but unless it's been amended since I last saw it, it misses out an ingredient or two. It's worth watching the vid through and scribbling down a recipe based on that instead.  :) Some of the chef's 'teaspoons' of spices and pastes look very generous, too; more like a tablespoon in some cases! We've upped our quantities as we see fit. It's pretty foolproof, anyway.

Here's the Sriracha we use as a substitute for the Tuong Ot Toi:

Freely available in most supermarkets over here, unlike the Tuong Ot Toi which doesn't seem to ship outside the USA. IMO, there is a marked difference between the two when you do a taste test. The Tuong Ot Toi is more like a finely minced chutney, and tastes fresh, sharp, and sweet. The Sriracha is a table condiment and is a smooth puree, and tastes a little heavier and more processed. But in the finished dish, it's the best alternative we found.

The Guinness isn't part of the recipe. At least, not directly.  ;)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 07:58 PM »
That's the same as i use Ian.s.

Don't forget to have the heat high when adding the chicken pieces to the sauce and keep moving the ingredients all the time, after about 3-5 minutes the sauce will get absorbed and it starts to get sticky, once this happens, serve.

With this recipe i had a look at around 6-7 recipes for Chicken 65 and noted what the main ingredients are then added what i liked to the finished recipe.

Don't forget to post the pictures Ian.s.

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Don't forget to have the heat high when adding the chicken pieces to the sauce and keep moving the ingredients all the time, after about 3-5 minutes the sauce will get absorbed and it starts to get sticky, once this happens, serve.

Hi UF

We usually do that, it's just that the last time I overdid the water and we didn't want to keep reducing in case we overcooked the chicken - schoolboy error, or perhaps too much Guinness.  :)

With this recipe i had a look at around 6-7 recipes for Chicken 65 and noted what the main ingredients are then added what i liked to the finished recipe.

That's what it's all about, in my book. :)

Don't forget to post the pictures Ian.s.

I didn't take a camera with me this time; it looked more or less like the picture I've already posted, but with no visible sauce. :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 11:14 AM »
Just to note this recipe was previously discussed in this thread:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5599.msg55000#msg55000

(in case it helps anyone to look back on it). I might be tempted to try this one but something which has stopped me at the first hurdle is I can't seem to find garlic/chilli paste at Asda. Even the Maggi sauce which chewy mentions in the other thread seems Unavailable. What are people using for this ingredient?

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Hi Natterjak

I got the Flying Goose brand Sriracha sauce at a Tesco Extra store. They had the Maggi sauce too. :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 02:09 PM »
Just to note this recipe was previously discussed in this thread:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5599.msg55000#msg55000

(in case it helps anyone to look back on it). I might be tempted to try this one but something which has stopped me at the first hurdle is I can't seem to find garlic/chilli paste at Asda. Even the Maggi sauce which chewy mentions in the other thread seems Unavailable. What are people using for this ingredient?
Hi NJ
I also use Lingham's garlic chilli sauce which is fantastic with Sanjays 65 recipe.
Lingham's is really sticky/runny bursting with flavour and all natural. Beautiful Stuff.

only1.29 gbp at Tesco
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251238300&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF_55461239

cheers Chewy ;)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll try to get the linghams.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 07:54 PM »
I picked up some Linghams Ginger/Garlic/Chilli today -

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 09:18 PM »
I picked up some Linghams Ginger/Garlic/Chilli today -