Author Topic: SD's mix powder  (Read 10073 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
SD's mix powder
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:23 PM »
Linke many here, over the years I've tried just about every mix powder known to humanity and tweaked them this way and that in the search for the ultimate mix.

Such a thing probably doesn't exist (or if it does then it's as elusive as the Higgs bosun particle), but there are mixes I find myself returning to time and time again, and this is one of my favourites.

There will be no massive surprises here - it's a mix powder, nothing more, nothing less - but I do apologise in advance if it replicates any others posted here.

I prefer to make it up in relatively small batches, and find the below quantity lasts for a good few weeks of base/stock/curry making:

4tbs mild Madras powder (I use Rajah, but any decent brand will do. East End, Natco, etc)
3tbsp turmeric powder
3tbsp cumin powder
3tbsp coriander powder
3tbsp paprika
1tbsp garam masala
2tsp fenugreek powder
2tsp garlic powder

Simply mix thoroughly together and store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.

As said, no surprises, but I find it works well...

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: SD's mix powder
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 02:04 PM »
SD

its a good mix and it looks great too!

best, Rich

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:39 PM »
I'm  gonna give it ago this weekend , cooking for a family birthday which base do you use SD

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:43 AM »
I'm  gonna give it ago this weekend , cooking for a family birthday which base do you use SD

My current favourite is the one from the Zaal, Michael (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7859.0), but I'll be using my own concoction for the birthday bash.

It's SO similar to the likes of many you'll find here it's not worth posting the recipe, but think along the lines of Chewytikka's, Curry 2 Go, etc., etc., and you'll get the gist.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:33 PM »
Thanks SD .
Being new to the site havent really experimented yet due to the fact I found c2g first and when I make a gravy its in a 18 ltr pot so no room in the freezer to try new ones (until now)
Looking forward to tying something new because I over did the last base (more browny than golden) I think I focus more on getting the oil to the serface and boil it for too long :(
 Any way cheers

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Thanks SD .
Being new to the site havent really experimented yet due to the fact I found c2g first and when I make a gravy its in a 18 ltr pot so no room in the freezer to try new ones (until now)
Looking forward to tying something new because I over did the last base (more browny than golden) I think I focus more on getting the oil to the serface and boil it for too long :(
 Any way cheers

I've had my fair share of brown bases, Michael (and they do tend to go darker with extended cooking and age - a whizz with a hand blender can often revitalise the colour).

Once you've made the base and blitzed it, the resulting puree shouldn't be boiled, but left to tickover on a simmer. Initially, you should see a froth appear (don't skim it off), and anywhere between 15-30 minutes later, you should notice the oil beginning to rise to the surface. This obviously takes a bit longer with a large quantity of base.

I often find that if it hasn't appeared after 30 minutes, simply turning the heat off and leaving it to stand does the trick. Go down the pub or something, and when you come back there should be a lovely red film of oil grinning at you.

Unlike a certain member of my household when I stagger in a bit the worse for wear...  ;D

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Ha ha .
 I'm in to  Pakistani cooking( living near tooting )  forgive me if I'm wrong did I read you were as well and if so any tips  ;)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 09:28 AM »
Ha ha .
 I'm in to  Pakistani cooking( living near tooting )  forgive me if I'm wrong did I read you were as well and if so any tips  ;)

I'm originally of Yorkshire stock, but spent the first 8 years of my life in the Tulse Hill area of London (then we moved down to the south coast, where I remain to this day). There were only a couple of restaurants there back then ('58- '66), but I imagine it's a little different now!

Pakistani cuisine is my favourite too, and I'm still chasing the taste I discovered in Pakistani run restaurants in Glasgow back in the '80s. I've been close a few times, but I need to be able to light that cigar every time before I'll be happy... 

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 10:03 PM »
You would love Tooting some are just like cafes with no nonsense Pakistani food and packed with locals in the afternoon I often pop in when passing and just have a plate of lamb chops and watch them cook(sad really unless your a curry fan  :))
Anyway ones just opened locally the dishes are a. bit hit and miss but just good enough to give it another go but theres a lovely taste I just cant put my finger on  :-\ I did get talking to the manager and told him about the site and theres a market out there for abit of curry teaching (trying to do a bit for the lads) but the conversation was cut short when his family turned up and my food arrived so we shook hands and said good bye
Hopefully I've made a little foundation  ;)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 01:48 AM »
As said, no surprises, but I find it works well...

And indeed it does work well!

I fancied a change from my usual mix powder and was browsing through this forum section looking for one when I came across yours, which looked good, so I thought I'd try it.

Gave it a go this week to spec, and included some in my base sauce.

Knocked up a pretty decent standard BIR chicken curry using this mix powder with some pre-cooked chicken thighs on the bone. Very nice indeed.

Highly recommended and a big thumbs up from me.

Thanks for sharing it.

©2024 Curry Recipes