Author Topic: Elaichi North Indian Special  (Read 43153 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Elaichi North Indian Special
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Thanks for trying it Jerry and reporting back your findings.  Glad you enjoyed it.  On the garlic slices, i now fry them a little first before adding the garlic puree.  Never tried the dish with plain chicken as it's always been served with tikka.  Will give it a go when i have prepped some.  On the tamarind, i would try and  get hold of some Maggi's Tamarina or East End Imli sauce and substitute it with either.  Alternatively, what i do now is use a dessertspoon of CBM's Bengali tamarind sauce which is a stock item in the fridge.  Also when diluted, makes an ideal dip for samosas or onion bhajis  :P

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Curryhell,

The plain chicken worked a treat - could really taste the rest of the dish.

2 nd go  much better with garlic in 1st. Thinking I might be cutting too thick - 3 slices per clove lengthways. Going to try zaal garlic on next go as I know this and like.

Used 1/3 dip of eating teaspoon tamarind and more tom pur?e (think per spec) - just right with the tamerind and pur?e sweatiness fighting each other.

Really pleased found this - simply brill. Even the scorched onion dazels.

Many thanks

Offline extremecapture

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2015, 08:15 AM »
This recipe has got me pretty excited. Our local TA does a special starter...Lentils Special Starter, which they also do as a main course, its absolutley delicious, ive always wondered how to cook it and have asked the chef what the ingrediants are, all he will say is 'plenty of tamarind Mr Paul, plenty of tamarind', and thats all he will reveal.

Its a thick red sauce with chicken tikka and sheek kebab in it and sounds very very similar to the OPs recipe, albeit i dont detect the pre fried onion and peppers.

Im going to try this recipe for myself at the weekend, and have a 50/50 mix of tikka and kebab in it, im praying it will be similar, it certainly looks good!!!!

So a big thankyou for sharing......

Im also going to use a tamarind concentrate called Tamicon, whether that will work or not i dont know, but its what i have in the cupboard at the moment.

Ill try and get some pics up when i do it.

Paul  :)

Offline extremecapture

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Heres my variation with some Razors sheek kebab added aswell as JBs tikka, amazing!!!!

Thanks again for sharing the recipe.

Paul  8)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2015, 10:13 PM »
This one went under my radar.  Bad time of the night for me to be seeing curries like that.  Glad it worked for you.  I may just have to try and create a special NIS like bambles dupiaza, with assorted meats inc. the sheek kebab which i really love  :P

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2015, 08:34 AM »
That looks positively volcanic, extremecapture - volcanically delicious, I mean! :)

Offline extremecapture

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Yes, it was pretty pokey, but absolute delicious  ;D

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2015, 09:29 PM »
I made this a few weeks ago but didn't get around to posting the pictures. I made this as close as I could to spec, just without any food colouring. I think this is a great tasting curry and one that I will make again. I used JB base for this and made it twice, one for me and one for the freezer. Thanks CH.

Offline Pugs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2015, 03:29 PM »
This looks brilliant. Quick question, the red Masala mix, is that cooked or are the ingredients just mixed together?

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2015, 06:25 PM »
Hi Pugs, they are just mixed together.

©2024 Curry Recipes