Author Topic: naan bread my 101 video  (Read 8848 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
naan bread my 101 video
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:22 PM »
hope this helps someone out  ;) enjoy

naan bread 101 how to make them perfect and soft every time.

plain flour 100%
lukewarm water 40%
plain yogurt 30%
oil 11%
sugar 1.5%
dried yeast 1%
salt 1%

1. mix water yeast and sugar leave for 5 mins to foam up.
2. add yogurt, oil then the flour THEN the salt, mix it all up and leave to rest for 20 mins.
3. need for 3 to 5 mins and divide into balls then let rest till double in size (1 to 2 hours)
4 make the naan's
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:57 AM by h4ppy-chris »

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: naan bread my 101 video
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 03:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing Chris.

Loved your reaction to number 4 going under the grill! You said what I was thinking.

Cheers!
Steve

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:49 AM »
thanks Steve, yeh number 4 thought it was a chapati hehe.

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 09:26 AM »
As well as listing the ingredients you should put a quick step by step instructions/method to go with your post. As in rest times etc without having to watch the movie again. For example I can remember there's two rests when making the dough one for 20 mins and the other for an hour (if I remember correctly). My computer at home is crap and always freezes when watching movies. So it'd take me twice as long to watch it again at home rather than at work!
Cheers
Steve

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:59 AM »
Ok done it for you Steve  ;)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Excellent video again, many thanks! People should also comment directly on Youtube, as they will increase views.

Anyway, I also typed up some instructions from watching the video:

"Put yeast and sugar in the water and give it 5-10 minutes to get the yeast working.
After about 10 minutes you should have froth on top (yeast is working).
Add the remainig wet ingredients, then the flour, then lastly the salt (If you put in the salt earlier it will kill the yeast).
Mix it all up just a little bit, then let it rest for 20 minutes first to fully let the flour take on the moisture (results in less kneading needed afterwards).
Afterwards, knead the dough until it's smooth - but don't overknead it. Should take about 3 minutes in a mixer (no longer than 5 minutes). Results in a very soft and quite wet dough but not very sticky at all in the end.
Take the dough out of the mixer, flour your hands, divide the dough into 4 pieces (at the given amounts). Roll each piece into a ball with your hands.
Let the dough balls rest for about an hour and a half. They should just about double in size.
Flour your work surface, coarsely stretch the dough ball into a circle and then roll it out evenly with a rolling pin without using any pressure. Resulting thickness should be about 5mm.
Heat a flat pan on full power (no oil). Also pre-heat your grill on full power.
Drop the rolled out dough into the pan and use your hands to shape it a little bit, if needed. Some bubbles will form on the surface after a while. Check the underside of the naan - when the colour is right move the pan under the grill (about 5 inches away from the heat source). Move it a bit closer to the grill to get some brown spots on the bubbles that have formed. if you just get one BIG bubble then pop it because it would otherwise just burn.
Wrap the naans up in a single tin foil package as they finish. Give each naan at least a minute in the foil, then open it up again and add some "garlic/ginger/coriander-butter". Add a generous amount for the first naan and, as you progress, you can use a little less for the remaining naans as the tin foil will already be full of the butter. Then warp them all up again to let the steam from the hot naan make them soft. The naans will stay hot for about half an hour."

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 10:23 AM »
fantastic StoneCut  :) and thank you for your comment on youtube  :)

"Move it a bit closer to the grill to get some brown spots on the bubbles that have formed."
can i just say i had to do that on the first one only because i forgot to put the grill on first  :(

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Excellent! Thanks for that. Ive never made them before and this looks so easy.

Got to ask though after being down under for 20 years and listening to your accent I think your from round my old neck of the woods? Got to be from Lancashire surely? Preston, Chorley, Darwin or somewhere round there?

Cheers
Steve

P.S. Your dog must've been playing outside when you were doing these as you couldnt hear it walking around and going to the water bowl for a drink like in your other movies lololol

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 12:48 PM »
Excellent! Thanks for that. Ive never made them before and this looks so easy.

Got to ask though after being down under for 20 years and listening to your accent I think your from round my old neck of the woods? Got to be from Lancashire surely? Preston, Chorley, Darwin or somewhere round there?

Cheers
Steve

P.S. Your dog must've been playing outside when you were doing these as you couldnt hear it walking around and going to the water bowl for a drink like in your other movies lololol

from burnley Steve... it's ether the dog or the kids that make a noise haha.

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 01:04 PM »

[/quote]

from burnley Steve... it's ether the dog or the kids that make a noise haha.
[/quote]

Burnlehhh. I knew it!  Just down't road!

©2024 Curry Recipes