Author Topic: Small clay tandoor pot for domestic oven?  (Read 32104 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Small clay tandoor pot for domestic oven?
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Mick (CBM) gave a link with his book for a outdoor solid fuel tandoor build that looks a proper job.  Hoping to make one next year.  I'm not too confident on the practical side; generally make a total mess twice and (sometimes) get it right on the third atempt, in which case it's cheaper to get someone in to do it. But have a few mates who could sort this type of project with me and will be calling in a few favours.

Rob 

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Mick (CBM) gave a link with his book for a outdoor solid fuel tandoor build that looks a proper job.  Hoping to make one next year.  I'm not too confident on the practical side; generally make a total mess twice and (sometimes) get it right on the third atempt, in which case it's cheaper to get someone in to do it. But have a few mates who could sort this type of project with me and will be calling in a few favours.

Rob 

A Tandoor would be great. I've helped build a wood fired pizza oven from scratch. The principles the same as a tandoor, but far more laborious(it has to look good), far more materials & therefore cost. Can cook a pizza in 90 odd seconds. Should have added a tandoor while doing it

ELW

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 07:34 PM »
I wouldnt think the bin would come into play would it? Considering the food would be inside the clay which in turn is inside the insulation layer of perlite, the bin shouldn't get too hot. But i'm no expert, it was just just an idea as i've seen quite a few pics in google of them made with galvanised bins.

anyone ever uses a clay pot of any kind in their oven? I've seen them casserole style for under a tenner, which raises suspicion about the price of this one.
I've got a couple of Romertopfe so will give them a try next batch.  ;)

Mick (CBM) gave a link with his book for a outdoor solid fuel tandoor build that looks a proper job.
Rob 
I thought he gave up on that and opted for a small gas one because the big one was a right pain.

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I wouldnt think the bin would come into play would it? Considering the food would be inside the clay which in turn is inside the insulation layer of perlite, the bin shouldn't get too hot. But i'm no expert, it was just just an idea as i've seen quite a few pics in google of them made with galvanised bins.

anyone ever uses a clay pot of any kind in their oven? I've seen them casserole style for under a tenner, which raises suspicion about the price of this one.
I've got a couple of Romertopfe so will give them a try next batch.  ;)

Mick (CBM) gave a link with his book for a outdoor solid fuel tandoor build that looks a proper job.
Rob 
I thought he gave up on that and opted for a small gas one because the big one was a right pain.
I'm no expert either Dalpuri, but the pizza oven still gets hot on the outside & has a few more skins of building material than the tandoor. I was thinking of doing a bit of bodging with  that little pot. Are Romertopfe  pots glazed?

ELW

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 07:49 PM »

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Rob 

I didn't know that.  Disappointed; it looked the business.  Back to the drawing board. Seen some of the purpose- made stainless portable tandoor (charcoal) ovens advertised, bit pricey but looks like an option.

Rob

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Are Romertopfe  pots glazed?
ELW

I think they can be either or?
The small one i have has a glazed bottom half. the rest is unglazed.
Not sure about the large one in the garage, will have to check.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Rob 

I didn't know that.  Disappointed; it looked the business.  Back to the drawing board. Seen some of the purpose- made stainless portable tandoor (charcoal) ovens advertised, bit pricey but looks like an option.

Rob

Hi Rob,
Just to clarify....
My original brick and pot tandoor worked well as in what it was designed to do, however, there were some issues.
The issues that I didn't like may not be a problem to others.
I found that on lighting it there would be a layer of soot lining the clay. I have seen some photos on here where this looks like the case,this had to be burned off for me as I don't want to eat soot on the back of a naan bread. It would only be burned off once the tandoor had reached a very high temperature (sorry didn't measure it). This would be too hot to hold your hand over the opening let alone consider inserting your arm into the tandoor to slap a naan on the side.
Once the soot had burned off I would have to wait for the temperature to drop and then you could cook on the skewers but still had to wait further before being able to cook naan breads.
Once it was at a temperature to cook the breads it was a bit of a pain adding more charcoal and trying to regulate the temperature. All this when perhaps only cooking for a couple of hours was too much hassle for me.
So I decided that gas was the way forward.
I found a steel balti house type tandoor on Ebay and drove to Bradford to get it.
It is so much easier, cleaner and a whole lot more fun. The taste is still fantastic although it is gas fired. The smoke created from juices dripping onto the hot lava stones adds plenty of flavour to the meat etc

The brickwork BBQ in front used to house the original tandoor. Curry shed and steel tandoor behind.

I have changed the burner fitting since this was taken.

Chicken Tikka and Tandoori Chicken

Offline PhilUK

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Guys-have a look here, i have tried these and you can get high temps in a domestic oven.
You can get them in the UK but sadly I lost mine when my (now ex)wife cleared the house out while I was at work!
http://www.romertopfonline.com/clay-bakers/
Hope this helps
Phil

©2024 Curry Recipes