Author Topic: To skim or not to skim? That IS the question!  (Read 9249 times)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: To skim or not to skim? That IS the question!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 08:31 PM »
....because like any scum its the impurities created by the boiling process and in this case oil separation. It really is hard to believe some people think it has a value and a good taste.

No it isn't, impurities that is.

It's actually coagulated lipoproteins, proteins combined with lipids (fats). Proteins when combined with lipids when boiled coagulate and have a lower density than oil and water and so float to the surface. The only effect they have on stock or base gravy is to make it cloudy. Given that base gravy is opaque anyway, they really don't make any difference whether you stir them back in or skim them off.

It's similar to a BIR Chef doing a huge pan of precooked Lamb or Beef, the first stage is to quickly boil the meat to get rid of it's impurities (in the form of Scum) This is washed away, fresh water added then the clean meat is precooked.

Still peddling the old unscientific monkey-magic, without actually understanding it then Chew  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 06:43 PM »
the only way for any member to get benefit from this question (if they are still unsure) is to try it for themselves - side by side ie make 2 off portions of base exactly the same and skim one and leave the other.

this is what i've done.

yes it's not a significant difference and for some it may not be important (other aspects of their curry are not right). what i've found though is that these very small differences when added together are worth it.

i love my theory but it only goes so far - eating is the only proof.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Have to say, no way is it similar to boiling a pan of meat etc. totally different 'scum'. Who has animal fats in their base?

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 07:06 PM »
.........and yes I do stir it back. Or rather I use the ladle 'method'.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes