Author Topic: I've bitten the bullet and bought the best knife in the world!!  (Read 31814 times)

Offline randomxchef

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: I've bitten the bullet and bought the best knife in the world!!
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Ok, reading some of the comments about sharpening knives i was almost brought to tears! Lets back track a bit though and ask- Why would you want an expensive knife when you can buy a set for ?20?
The answer is simple- a knife made of cheap steel wont have the edge retention of a knife made of better steel. A Damascus steel knife will have a solid core so hard it would be to brittle and unusable on its own- the pretty patterns are where its clad with a softer steel to stop it shattering. These knifes are wonderful to use at home, but they are designed primarily for professional use. Some of my colleagues would have to steel their knives before each use- that was not the case with mine- i could pick it up and it was almost always sharp enough for use
Running a knife along a steel is supposed to HONE the blade- i.e straiten the edge.
Picture this- on a sharp knife, after use, a very fine blade will start to bend over. You can feel this, if you hold the knife, with the blade pointing towards your body and the spine pointing away, then place the blade on your finger nail and move it back- over across your nail. You should feel that one side will scratch your nail.
To hone a knife correctly, you need to use a steel and run the knife along it at a 20 degree angle (18 for your Japanese blade as these are sharpened to a more acute angle).
Any steeper angle will take the fine edge off the blade and create whats known as a double-beveled edge- an edge on an edge so to speak. There are reasons why people would create a double beveled edge (I have such a knife that was almost useless, which i have worked extensively on to make usable), but using a steel to do this is highly inaccurate, will leave an un-uniform edge, and will damage the blade.
Don't buy expensive knives you cant maintain- you need to know how to use a whet stone or know somebody who does. If you need to learn, get a cheep stone and knife to practice. I'me sure there are people on here who think they know what a sharp knife is, but the truth is until you have handled a knife where the blade has been sharpened to such a degree there is a mirror finish on the cutting edge- quite simply you haven't.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Hi
Randomxchef, could you for the benefit of others please name the brands you are discussing.
Regards

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2013, 03:05 PM »
Sharpening Direction

There is somewhat of a debate on what is the most appropriate direction to move the knife in relation to the stone. Is it best to move the knife so that the edge of the blade goes toward the stone, as though cutting the stone, or is it best to move the knife so that the spine leads, drawing the edge away from the stone? 

taken from here: http://sharpeningtechniques.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/sharpening-direction.html

I thought this was quite a good tip with the binder clip for those that cant hold the correct angle. Although I wouldn't advise using it on your best stones.  ;)
A cheap Blackspur or Rolson stone would be worth the risk.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j3W4R133mk

Cheers, Frank.  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:22 PM by DalPuri »

Offline t-c

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2013, 06:25 PM »
I've been looking at these http://www.millyskitchenstore.co.uk/KaiShunPremierTimMlzerKnives-Category-3162.html for a real treat to myself.  But would send them away to get sharpened properly.
The Santoku and Nakiri are the only two I'll get as they are so expensive.

Watch Mino Tsuchida about sharpening his knives
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIw5ChGOADE

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 11:22 PM »
Nice vid t-c, I enjoyed that.
I was going to say earlier that i've never noticed a difference in the direction, and the Japanese method you posted couldn't be simpler.

and speaking of cheap tools..
A cheap Blackspur or Rolson stone would be worth the risk.
just found this on Ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOUSEHOLD-KITCHEN-KNIFE-SHARPENER-3-CERAMIC-DISCS-/130904074980?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item1e7a7daae4

even cheaper from the sellers own website: http://www.kozy-homes.co.uk/products/19479-00,household-kitchen-knife-sharpener-3-ceramic-discs
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:31 AM by DalPuri »

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2013, 12:38 AM »
All very well - But back to reality :)
The most popular used knife in a Bengali BIR kitchen is --wait for it

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2013, 01:19 AM »
Chewy,

what is the brand or reference name for this knife?

If I hadn't read your comment, I would immediately thought "this won't chop onions very well due to the uneven blade", it sort reminds me of a small sized bread knife.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Chewy,

what is the brand or reference name for this knife?

If I hadn't read your comment, I would immediately thought "this won't chop onions very well due to the uneven blade", it sort reminds me of a small sized bread knife.

That would be the one on the handle - Messermeister  ;D. And although I cant find them over here, they are here

Pro-Touch 5.25 Inch Vegetable Knife

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2013, 08:29 AM »
The lads at my local TA also use a small serrated knife for most chopping tasks in the main kitchen area. Not sure if theirs has a brand name.  I ended up buying one of these which looks very similar. Think it was about 7 quid. 

http://kitchendevils.net/control/

Code 603002 

I am actually getting the hang of cutting up an onion properly using this. 

Rob  :) 

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 08:58 AM »
The lads at my local TA also use a small serrated knife for most chopping tasks in the main kitchen area. Not sure if theirs has a brand name.  I ended up buying one of these which looks very similar. Think it was about 7 quid. 

http://kitchendevils.net/control/

Code 603002 

I am actually getting the hang of cutting up an onion properly using this. 

Rob  :)

My missus had a Kitchen Devils serrated 6" knife from the early 80's and we used it for most chopping. It was great. We replaced it when the handle got melted and we both though the newer one was'st as good. It seemed to 'stick' more than the older one.

©2024 Curry Recipes