Author Topic: Viceroy Brasserie Abbots Langley: Chef Imram  (Read 56403 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Viceroy Brasserie Abbots Langley: Chef Imram
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Just noticed a stack of youtube videos uploaded about a month ago by this Indian and Bangladeshi restaurant.  Only watched a few so far (this one and the staff beef curry).  Interesting!  Also, the chap narrating the cooking offers viewers to write to them if they want the recipes.  See what you think chaps.  If you search in youtube for Viceroy Abbots or pabda20 the whole lot should display.

Viceroy Brasserie Abbots Langley,watford cheff Imran cooking

Rob
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:15 AM by getonthegarabi »

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Viceroy Abbots: Chef Imram
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:20 AM »
Nice find there, GOTG - many thanks for sharing.

I love looking behind the scenes in BIRs, as you always come across new delights (I like the ingeniuous use of washing-up bowls to contain the pre-cooked meats in this kitchen. There's practical thinking for you!).

As always with these kitchen clips it made for interesting viewing (good to see a healthy amount of stock being spooned in from the pre-cooked chicken bowl. Something I like to do myself, but not all BIR chefs do this.)

The vindaloo looks good, but I've only had time to take a quick look at it, and was puzzled by a couple of things. First, apart from the addition of what he calls a 'naga' paste (which for some reason he attributes to the use of North African chillies), I didn't see any spices being added (unless they were in the chilli paste?). I may have missed it though, so will go back and have a closer look later.

And there are another 20 vids to check out, too.

Splendid.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Viceroy Brasserie Abbots Langley: Chef Imram
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:08 AM »
just watched all the vids, they are more of what they cook and not so much of how to cook.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Seems to a quite a bit of pastes and off the shelf powders in the dishes.  Quite like the idea of the Aloo Bhaji with finely sliced (chipped) potato.  Might try that.  The 2 egg Bengali Style Omelette with 3 chopped chillies looks like a winner.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 12:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. I particularly enjoyed the Paneer videos I love Sag Paneer, the mention of precooked spinach with onions and spices was refreshing to hear rather than tinned. I had never considered also, that they put cream in the dish. The Paneer chili masala looks fantastic as does the brinjal bortha and the  Bengali omelette.

One thing that I noticed that I have to question though, is just how far the chef allowed the sliced garlic to cook before adding anything else. It was certainly close to burning in some videos.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:27 PM »
Good watch, genuine videos.

Nice to see a Watford Bengali Chef cooking the same as North East Bengalis.

His Bringle Bhaji (Borta) is spot on, and is a great stuffing for baked Capsicum.
cheers Chewy.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:43 PM »
I haven't watched the videos yet (lack of time) but do wonder whether the restaurant is really going to attract customers by portraying their kitchen in such an unfavourable light ?  The poster frame of the video in post #1, whilst undoubtedly realistic and perhaps even typical of such restaurants, will surely put off the more fastidious customer, will it not ?  I think if I were the owner of the Viceroy Brasserie I would get the kitchen staff to give those pots, pans, range and surrounding area a d@mn good scrub and then re-record.  Bob, you are currently in a commercial kitchen : how do its cleanliness standards compare with those of the Viceroy ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:26 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 01:07 PM »
I haven't watched the videos yet (lack of time) but do wonder whether the restaurant is really going to attract customers by portraying their kitchen in such an unfavourable light ? 

I haven't watched the videos yet, either, but I'll attempt to offset your adverse comment by saying that I've eaten at that BIR (sit down meals) three or four times in the past 10 years. The food has always struck me as way above average - one of the best BIRs I know, anywhere. Of course, whether they give away much in the videos is a different question. I've never been ill, either, so I don't mind how untidy the kitchen might be, if they serve food as good as I tasted.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 01:22 PM »
I haven't watched the videos yet (lack of time) but do wonder whether the restaurant is really going to attract customers by portraying their kitchen in such an unfavourable light ?  The poster frame of the video in post #1, whilst undoubtedly realistic and perhaps even typical of such restaurants, will surely put off the more fastidious customer, will it not ?  I think if I were the owner of the Viceroy Brasserie I would get the kitchen staff to give those pots, pans, range and surrounding area a d@mn good scrub and then re-record.  Bob, you are currently in a commercial kitchen : how are its cleanliness standards compared to the Viceroy's ?

** Phil.

Just checked it out on the FSA site, and it scores a 'generally satisfactory' 3 rating (so better than many). http://ratings.food.gov.uk/search/en-GB?bn=viceroy+brasserie&ba=abbots+langley&sm=1&st=1&pi=0&sc=%2fsearch%2fen-GB

As you say, Phil, it's undoubtedly realistic and typical, and a bit of a pree video clean up wouldn't go amiss, but as Chewy says, at least they're genuine. I've certainly been in worse kitchens. (I remember one in the Wapping area where the kitchen was right next to the toilets, where I was surprised to find a 25kg sack of onions... Food was superb though.)

It may well put off the more fastidious diner, but I'm definitely not in that category!

(Edit: thanks for the heads-up, George. If I'm in the area I'll pop in to taste chef Imam's fare.)

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 01:35 PM »
Thats the first think i thought was the state of the place realistic i suppose

©2024 Curry Recipes