Author Topic: Restaurant Style Vindaloo spices...questions to those who have audited a kitchen  (Read 9573 times)

Offline fstr n u

• Chef
    • View Profile
Curry patrons,

I was able recently to "audit" the kitchen of a 5 star Indian Chef while travelling and had to swear on my only |born child| i wouldn't share secrets i learned in this kitchen.  In witnessing what i did i can say i was shocked by the fact there was no  base gravy for the Vindaloo or Murgh Makhani.  Much of what what i've seen so far on this forum in terms of information was thrown out of the window.

i will focus on the Vindaloo here.

I came across 2 spices and an onion method i haven't previously seen before which i'll mention below....

The curry i sampled was a vindaloo chicken with a coconut enriched base....and it was simply amazing.

In the Vindaloo what i think i can share is that the base didn't have the "thick" gravy base you all have worked to achieve.  This one was slightly more liquidity in nature with flakes of desiccated coconut and seeds from some sort of pepper.  It was a more oily tomato base and i'll take a pic of it when i next can do so (from the restaurant).  The spices i learned about were "meat masala" and "deggi mirch".  As best i can understand the meat masala is a pre-prepared masala mix and the deggi mirch similar to that of a kashmiri chilli powder.  There were also elements of salt, cumin seeds and fenugreek leaves,

For onions, the onions are cooked in oil to a translucent state and turmeric powder added...then blended to make an onion paste.

In the gravy there is a mix of oil, bay leaf, cinnamon stick(s), cumin seeds, ginger/garlic pst, crushed tomatoes,onion paste, heavy cream salt, water and coconut shavings.  I learned the "seeds" came from the Chilli Garlic Sauce added to the sauce/gravy

1. Have any of you come across Deggi Mirch or Meat Masala in your restaurant style curries?
2. I remember reading about seasoned oils...what i saw was Canola Oil and the chef mentioned sometimes using an oil seasoned with cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and cardamon as an option?
3. Have you seen onions precooked in only only oil and turmeric to give color?
4. Versus using coconut milk, the chef recommended using heavy cream and desiccated coconut (sweetened) to make the sauce sweeter...have you heard of this before?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile

In witnessing what i did i can say i was shocked by the fact there was no  base gravy for the Vindaloo or Murgh Makhani.  i will focus on the Vindaloo here.

The curry i sampled was a vindaloo chicken with a coconut enriched base....and it was simply amazing.

So base or no base?

littlechilie

Curry patrons,

I was able recently to "audit" the kitchen of a 5 star Indian Chef while travelling and had to swear on my only |born child| i wouldn't share secrets i learned in ?

Was this Chef working for Sainsbury's??? ;D I would advise having a read through the forum.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I was able recently to "audit" the kitchen of a 5 star Indian Chef while travelling and had to swear on my only |born child| i wouldn't share secrets i learned in this kitchen.  In witnessing what i did i can say i was shocked by the fact there was no  base gravy for the Vindaloo or Murgh Makhani.  Much of what what i've seen so far on this forum in terms of information was thrown out of the window.

You can't have read much of this forum if that's what you think, i.e that your observations negate most of the tips on here,

What do you mean by 'audit' in the context of a kitchen visit? Was the chef a phony self-awarded five star chef? In the UK or in India, for example? If he was a chef at a five star hotel in India then your observations might carry more weight..

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Sigh.  Three such negative response to an interesting message from a new member.  Will this forum never learn ?
** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Not that new a member, Phil........

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
12 posts, joined less than a year ago.  To me, that is a new member, someone whose input is to be welcomed even when it does not accord with the received wisdom.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
So I assume you have welcomed him/her after one of said 12 posts?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Of course.  By asking a polite question concerning one of his posts rather than dismissing his ideas out of hand.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:47 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Hit the nail on the head Phil
  Probably the main reason why newbies like me are reluctant to post, harsh chastisement does not encourage participation.

©2024 Curry Recipes