Author Topic: AST's Chicken/Lamb Jalfrezi  (Read 15401 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: AST's Chicken/Lamb Jalfrezi
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:24 PM »
Posted by SnS

Great post Vmix.
Pleased all 4 separate processes went okay for you.
Sky's the limit now!

SnS  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 11:25 PM »
Posted by Jethro

That looks a bit yummy, well presented and good piccies.
Well done :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Posted by AST

What takes 2 days to make and is gone in less than 5 minutes?  ;D

Absolutely fabulous, definately something I would have enjoyed at a restaurant. Good texture, the meat just fell apart and the rice was delicious.

Great to hear it turned out ok! ;D  As SnS says, sky's the limit now!

So I ended up making the chicken jalfrezi for me and a milder prawn version the the other half. Basically it was the same procedure but i subbed a tablespoon of extra hot chilli powder for a teaspoon of mild. I also didnt put any green chillies in it. However it still managed to blow her away  :o she loved the flavour but complained about the heat. Any tips (apart from removing the teaspoon of mild chilli powder) to reduce the heat?

Here's my solution to the above:

For our son (13 months):  Use just a small pinch (1/8 tsp or less) of chilli powder (we only have the one kind in the house)

For my wife, who doesn't like things too spicy:  Use 1/4-1/8th tsp.  For her, 1/4 tsp can be plenty hot.  Of course, I don't add fresh chillies in either case.

For a friend who likes things warm, but not too spicy:  about 1/2 tsp and 2-3 fresh chillies (if they're small).  Sometimes it can be too much for him, and other times it's fine.  Depends on the chillies and him, I think.

These amounts were guided a bit by the KD curry recipe, but she's using more than 400ml of base (if I remember correctly).  So far, I haven't had too many complaints!

I guess this should be added to the recipe page too, in case anyone's interested and wants to vary the heat according to this guidance. ;D

Cheers,

ast

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Great pic's VM, thanks for sharing them, given you only joined a couple of days ago thats pretty good going, keep up the reports and the photos  8)

Cheers
cK

Offline vmixture

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 10:40 PM »
Ok I'm new here so who am I to say....but.....

The missus found the jalfrezi far too hot, so on night 2 using the saffron base I used zero chiili powder and no chillies in the recipe but I added a half teaspoon of Garam massala near the end of cooking and she was very impressed indeed.

Not ground breaking but it did the job.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 11:22 PM »
Ok I'm new here so who am I to say....but.....The missus found the jalfrezi far too hot

Fair comment vmixture...one man's madras is another man's (woman's) phal!

Offline bagpuss22

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Excellent recipe   ;)

Cooked it for a second time and added 2 Dorset Naga instead of the birdseye :o

Absoultely fantastic!!!  Oh yes and HOT!!!

BP

Offline Prospero

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Reviving an old thread here to say I just tried this and it turned out fabulous. Very similar in fact to the jalfrezi at my favourite restaurant (The Clay Oven in Ealing). A few notes:

- I used the Saffron base, which is what I use for most now.
- I didn't have any pre-cooked chicken to hand, so I just simmered it in the base with a little extra water while I fried off the spices and other stuff. This effectively means the chicken stock is already incorporated with the base when you add the whole lot together.
- I scaled down the chilli content, as my family are not very heat-tolerant.
- I halved the lemon juice - it can be very over-powering and takes away the other flavours. I reckon you probably leave this out altogether, or maybe just a few drops.

Like I said, turned out great. I think the key ingredient here is the amchoor, which is certainly what gives the dish its distinctive flavour, the same as in the restaurant. Surely a classic recipe this one, so worth a bump here.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:17 PM by Prospero »

©2024 Curry Recipes